NoobxCamper

Honorable
Jul 19, 2015
I keep having this problem with my Asus PCIe wifi card that keeps disconnecting me if I am downloading any large file(s) after maybe 5-10 minutes of downloading. However, this only happens when I am connected to the 5ghz network, and works fine on the 2.4ghz network, albeit slower. I updated all my devices and even exchanged the card as I thought it was faulty, with no luck. What could be the problem? I get no error messages, the connection just drops until I reconnect manually and then rinse and repeat.

PCIe card: Asus AX200 WiFi-6
Router: Asus GT-5300AC
Modem: ISP provided
Devices connected to the router: ~8 at any given time, but most are inactive/asleep

PC specs:
Motherboard: Asus B450-F Gaming

Solution
Could be you have a lot of interference on the 5g radio from neighbors. It is common for wifi to have more issues when you are transferring more data.

You have already replaced the stuff that can be hardware or software so that doesn't leave much to try.

You can try different radio channels but to get high speed you need to use 80mhz radio channels which means there are really only 2 blocks you can try. Some router can use other radio channels but you can't manually set them. Unfortantly these also take the risk of conflict with things like weather radar.
If your router is using a block of channels and detects weather radar it might just drop all the sessions since it must stop using those bands when it sees other signals.
Could be you have a lot of interference on the 5g radio from neighbors. It is common for wifi to have more issues when you are transferring more data.

You have already replaced the stuff that can be hardware or software so that doesn't leave much to try.

You can try different radio channels but to get high speed you need to use 80mhz radio channels which means there are really only 2 blocks you can try. Some router can use other radio channels but you can't manually set them. Unfortantly these also take the risk of conflict with things like weather radar.
If your router is using a block of channels and detects weather radar it might just drop all the sessions since it must stop using those bands when it sees other signals.

Solution