Asus PCs Found to More Reliable Than Macs

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]Ridik876[/nom]Lol@hakesterman for thinking drivers are easier to find for macs than for PCs.[/citation]
+1. And he's an even bigger idiot for saying that Mac's can't be hacked (see: PWN2OWN).

GO ASUS (and Gigabyte) GO!

Chipi

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
[citation][nom]balister[/nom]Chipi, quit while you're ahead. The numbers show that Asus has more reliable equipment. It doesn't matter if Asus is being outsold by Apple by 3 times or 100 times, the fact is, Asus machines have less issues as a whole than Apple's. If 1 in 100 Asus machines have issues and 3 in 100 Apple machines have issue, it doesn't matter if Apple sold 900 machines and Asus only sold 300, there's still only 3 (1 x (300/100)) Asus machines with issues while there are 27 (3 x 900/100) Apple machines with issues.[/citation]

I guess you just can't understand what I'm pointing out, can you?

Just like ssalim said, it doesn't matter what those numbers say (yes, according to them Asus is more reliable by a small margin) because they are NOT accurate, they don't represent all Asus and Apple computer sales and customer problems.

You also don't seem to get what a percentage means. It does matter how many computers each sold, because it's not 1 in 100 and 3 in 100, it's 1 in 100 and 3 in 300 (hypothetically) and that would be a tie.

What's even worse is that because of an inaccurate report, someone writes down on an international news site that company X is more reliable than Y. That's just lame and it makes you think if that someone has the best intentions...

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
makes sense, i've never had any problems with my Asus motherboards or my Asus netbook, and I'm usually a very unlucky person, so they must just be quality products.

Stihy

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
I work in local service department, it's true asus are notebooks with low number of failures, but repair procedure, refurbished spare parts, astronomical price for every spare part makes them unattractive to me.

Their customer service can not come near Toshiba or Lenovo in EU not by a mile.

Stihy

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
Also Asus RMA is know for returning unrepaired devices sometimes with 50% of returned devices

shadowryche

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
I've had an ASUS F8Series laptop since Thanksgiving of last year. And I have never had any trouble with it. I use it as my primary workbench in our computer store, so I really put it through its paces. If I'm not working on something, I'm playing TF2 or Civilization IV on it.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
yeah, the only thing apple has ever really done on the hardware side is under clock everything so it lasts longer/quieter/cooler, of course anyone could do this, but they don't cause performace:price ratio is terrible, not that you would ever convince a mac person that this is a bad thing...

G

Don't you think that this study does not take into account the inherent demographics that follow different computer types...

I mean, ASUS doesn't do nearly as much advertising as a lot of these other companies listed...and thus, I would assume that only more computer savvy people would know about them. Of course that will reduce the number of calls.

Unless they account for that this is all bogus stats and doesn't mean anything about "reliability."

pender21

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
This is old news in a way.

As far as PC repairs go, Apple computers get repaired the most within a year at 22% units sold, but HP and the rest are at 19% and hovering.

I think TOms was the source of this.

nacho2k3

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
And lest we forget... ASUS is a hobbyist brand. People get their machines from online, retailers that manage to carry them (Sorry, until WalMart and Target offer them, it's not quite a household name. Not that there is anything wrong with that.) Other factors: home-built machines aren't going to have tech support, and there's HP/Dell models utilizing ASUS parts... some of their failings may be misattributed in CSR calls.

Chipi

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
Does anybody remember ASUS W90Vp, the "supernotebook-desktop replacement" launched in February?
Back then, it was so "reliable", it had half a year OLD Catalyst drivers (8.6) that didn't support Crossfire. That's right, you paid 2 and a half thousand $ for a notebook with 2 ATi graphics cards but you could only use one.

6 months passed, and guess what? The support page still doesn't have newer drivers!

shadowryche

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
[citation][nom]nacho2k3[/nom]And lest we forget... ASUS is a hobbyist brand. People get their machines from online, retailers that manage to carry them (Sorry, until WalMart and Target offer them, it's not quite a household name. Not that there is anything wrong with that.) Other factors: home-built machines aren't going to have tech support, and there's HP/Dell models utilizing ASUS parts... some of their failings may be misattributed in CSR calls.[/citation]

Best Buy is starting to carry a lot of ASUS Laptops and LCD's. I encourage my customers to buy ASUS or MSI when ever I can. Granted we'll probably never see a $350 laptop from either. I still cringe when I see people buy them netbooks. At least my sales of external DVD players is going well.

Rich Davis

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
First off, you have to qualify who the company that's reporting this information. Then you have to look at the what types of problems. Did the product have 3rd party memory or HDD installed. Were they s/w related issues, user issues, ISP issues, network issues, hardware issues? A mac user can call one of these places and the problem may not be related to the Mac, it could be related to their ISP. I would HIGHLY suggest that these types of reports be challenged and more clarification and specificity be applied. A lot of times the problem is NOT hardware related, but user related. People that buy macs typically don't call 800-Rescue-PC for support issues if their Mac is under warranty. Maybe they are new users buying a used computer. I mean, this report is actually quite unsubstantiated as to specifics of how they arrived at that number.

Rich Davis

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
I don't know if Foxconn actually makes the PC boards for Apple. I think they go to an outside supplier. Now, Foxconn is only ONE assembly house for Apple. They also use Quanta and Pegatron. Now, Apple designs the motherboards, power supply, OS, apps, screen technology, and other aspects of the computer, probably more aspects of a computer is designed by Apple than any other company. ASUS doesn't do the OS, they just license WIndows. ASUS doesn't develop any Apps, so ASUS is just basically a PC clone mfg. THey also don't make much profits on their products so they have the mentality of "buying market share" which is not a good long term strategy. People go out of business with that mentality. But since the company that's providing the information is a PC biased source, I would question it's validity. The other thing is they aren't specific at all. Also the difference in 416 and 394 isn't that big of a difference. So, Apple is amongst the highest. It's certainly a LOT higher than brands like Lenovo at 314, Toshiba at 218 and HP at 142 and where the F is Dell? Didn't Dell get sued for tens of millions from the Feds for knowingly shipping faulty capacitors for a long time resulting in a high failure rate? And why is Dell going private?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS