ASUS PG279Q 27" or LG 34UC89G-B 34"

shawn1971

Prominent
Nov 14, 2017
I'm upgrading my Video Card from a GTX 960 to a GTX 1070 so I'm wanting to upgrade my monitor as well. Right now I'm using a basic LG 24" IPS monitor OC'd to 74 hz which has worked fine since I just Play World of Warcraft, but with the new Xpac coming out and Blizz leaning more towards DirectX 12 and better models I'm doing the upgrade. The issue is I'm torn between the ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q 27" or the LG 34UC89G-B 34-Inch 21:9 Curved UltraWide IPS Gaming Monitor. While The LG seems to have around a 100 reviews on sites I've looked and the Asus around 1k, the LG is running 4.5-5 stars and the Asus around 4 stars, but what I'm stuck on is while the LG seems great for gaming and would be perfect for just playing World of Warcraft the reviews say its not great for anything other than gaming due to low pixels. Then there's the Asus, everything I've read ppl are 50/50 on it some seem to love it some seem to get the cursed ones with the dead pixels and bleeding which after a few years Asus still haven't fixed, so I want to turn to you all like I always do for your advice, so which one should I get? Just a little info for ya in case there's something better out there, I want a IPS monitor with 144Hz and G sync and keep it around the $700 like the other 2 are.

Solution
Acer seems to be a bit better with quality control. This is also going for a lower price: https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-XB271HU-2560x1440-Display/dp/B0173PEX20. If you do get a faulty unit, return it immediately (Amazon should let you). 2560x1080 is already a weird resolution on a 29 inch, but a 34inch has quite a ridiculously low PPI. Images will look FAR more sharp on the 27 inch monitors vs that ultrawide, so I'd definitely go with the one I recommended.
Acer seems to be a bit better with quality control. This is also going for a lower price: https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-XB271HU-2560x1440-Display/dp/B0173PEX20. If you do get a faulty unit, return it immediately (Amazon should let you). 2560x1080 is already a weird resolution on a 29 inch, but a 34inch has quite a ridiculously low PPI. Images will look FAR more sharp on the 27 inch monitors vs that ultrawide, so I'd definitely go with the one I recommended.

Solution