Asus PG278Q
27 inch
TN
2560x1440
144Hz
1ms
G-Sync
$669

Will probably be using a GTX1080, play alot of Overwatch, RPGs (Fallout, Witcher), Action (Dying light, Assassins Creed, GTA), some FPS (Division), others include XCOM2, Arkham Series, etc. What is your preference?

Solution
for the kind of games you play I would prefer the PG279Q which is what I have as well. the IPS panel is really great on this monitor!
not a fan of curve / ultrawide monitors. I would prefer one of those if I needed the real state for productivity, but for games specially having the monitor really close... I prefer a regular 27".

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Where are you pricing that PG279Q? Should be around $800.

A single 1080 is enough to push a 2560x1440 display well above 60FPS for most things.

3440x1440 is a step up. A single 1080 should be okay, but it probably won't max it out except on your less demanding games there.

PG278Q is a TN panel, by all accounts quite a good one. If you are used to IPS displays it may not be the best choice for you though.

larsv8

Distinguished

I am upgrading from a crummy monitor so I think all will be a good upgrade. Not sure if I currently am on a TN or IPS.

Thought I had the right price, from Amazon, but you may be right on the $800. Gets confusing when they stack them in the same entry on the page.

I could do dual 1070s if that could max out the 3440. Have to do some research on if the cost is worth the extra oomph.

Which would you choose if it were you?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I happen to have an EVGA 1080 SC and a PG279Q and it is quite satisfying. I actually have a pair of 980s sitting on a box which is a little bit faster, but then you have to deal with SLI. SLI and Crossfire seem to be on their way out, one of the big ones for me is the new Unreal engine which doesn't support it. I think we will see a lot of new DX 11 titles drop it as well since common mid-range cards are now just as powerful as last generations flagships (and the low end is now damned impressive). New DX12 titles will use asynch compute rather then alternate frame rendering. So this gap of 2-3 years will probably see the best performance from single GPUs.

Pretty easy to determine if your monitor is TN or IPS. Stand above it and see if you can still see the screen or if it goes gray/purple/green (depending on the displayed color) That 160 degree viewing angle from above and below is very telling. IPS screens typically are at 178 degree vertically and horizontally.

cl-justin

Respectable
Apr 21, 2016
I have a GTX1080 and a PG278Q and I run everything on epic on Overwatch and get max FPS. Although, I love this monitor, if i had a choice I'd go for the PG279Q . the 4ms and 1ms is not that noticeable IMO and the IPS just looks more nice than TN.

infamousk12

Honorable
May 2, 2013
I just completed a build using the PG348Q. I have a EVGA 1080 FTW. Games are fantastic on that monitor. I'm literally getting 110+ fps on BF4, fully maxed. On Crysis 3, fully maxed I was seeing 65-70FPS. One 1080 is enough power for the 3440x1440 setup. G-Sync also helps. The monitor has fantastic build quality, was easy to assemble, and is just plain beautiful.

frank_hnd

Honorable
for the kind of games you play I would prefer the PG279Q which is what I have as well. the IPS panel is really great on this monitor!
not a fan of curve / ultrawide monitors. I would prefer one of those if I needed the real state for productivity, but for games specially having the monitor really close... I prefer a regular 27".

Solution

Rate_R

Prominent
Apr 11, 2017
What a dilemma!
I find myself in the same situation. I would like to buy either the ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q or the Asus PG279Q
I play games like StarWars Battlefront, Call of Duty Black Ops 3 and Infinite Warfare, OverWatch, Titanfall 2 Battlefield 4 and others.

I would like to hear from those who have experience with these two monitors.

Rate_R

Prominent
Apr 11, 2017
Thank you very much! I have a friend selling me an ASUS ROG SWIFT PG348Q but I'm not convince to buy it, especially now.
I have been watching some videos and there're some pros and cons for the 21:9 resolution, but I guess I will be going with 16:9 just to avoid black bars on the sides.