Question ASUS PG279Q v/s LG 27GL850

OSxSnowleopard

Honorable
Aug 3, 2013
Hello,
According to rtings.com LG has worse black uniformity, free sync, less color accuracy, RGB 10bit per channel and HDR400 support. On the other hand ASUS is an old 2016 model, still costlier, no HDR, G-Sync, 8bit and everything else score better than the LG model. Is it worth getting older ASUS display over newer LG? I was thinking about getting Dell U2518D at first. But it is suffering from image tearing issue.
I’m currently using my 10yrs old Dell U2410 professional display.
Thanks

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I think ASUS is releasing a monitor soon that offers G-Sync ELMB and HDR here shortly, so that might be worth a wait. Probably be pricey though.

I've had a PG279Q since launch. It is a good monitor for its time, but there are superior panels available. And given what ASUS still asks for it, I personally wouldn't make that same decision today. They don't offer much more in the ways of features, but IPS vs AHVA being the big one. IPS with 1ms response times out there as well.

Dell, Acer, ASUS, HP (Omen), MSI, Gigabyte (Aorus), now, all offer QHD Freesync/G-sync panels.

Depends on what you want to spend.

OSxSnowleopard

Honorable
Aug 3, 2013
I’m using TUF board actually. I also thought about getting a TUF monitor. But some early adopters complaining about these monitors. Two things that I don’t want to compromise with, 1st 100% sRGB color accuracy(in real, not just on paper, without hardware calibration) and second, highest possible black level uniformity(least cloudy glow on screen and back light bleeding). Rest of the specs are not too important for me(e.g; HDR400, curved, RGB, 1ms ect.)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not sure you can use that monitor as a comparison to all of them. Brief research shows the VG32VQ is a VA panel. VG27QA is an AVHA panel like the PG279Q, but that is to be expected given the refresh rate on the WQHD panel.

Also all of those ratings, 165hz, 155hz, 120hz, 100hz, etc are all overclocked. Just don't, run at the native. For most WQHD panels that is 75hz, though this new looks to be 120hz native with a 144hz overclock. QHD is 144hz, ASUS's 4K panel is 120hz, etc. Most of the negative motion blur and overshoot issues come from those overclocked figures.

Almost every monitor review I see lately they are turning the 'fast' mode off for the best results. The rest are just bragging rights.

I don't think you are going to find a decent sRGB specced monitor that meets your gaming needs. For that I would just buy two monitors.

OSxSnowleopard

Honorable
Aug 3, 2013
Thanks. I also did some digging about “IPS v/s VA”. Found that VA panels stands somewhere between TN and IPS. VA provide faster response time, better black levels and less clouding than IPS panels(like IPS glow). Also cost less to produce. But it has worse viewing angles and color accuracy than IPS panel. So I think for wider color gamut IPS is the only option. Both LG27GL850 and ASUS PG279Q are IPS panels. Only reason I see why ASUS is almost $200 more costly is because it has G-Sync and ROG branding. I can literally pick two Dells (U2518D) at the price of one ASUS. But unfortunately even dell is not giving any clear cut answer whether or not they have fixed the screen tearing issue. So I think I will go with the ASUS with G-Sync and not with the LG Free Sync as I’m using nVidia RTX 2070 super FE. Also getting a perfect uniform IPS panel is a lottery I guess.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
PG279Q is an AHVA panel. Which is still technically VA, but has more IPS like qualities. They have always marketed it as IPS though to differentiate it from TN panels at the time, now they are stuck with it. Basically the only two options for high refresh until today's typical VA and fast IPS panels (S-IPS and S-PLS) started hitting the market.

There are as many designs as patents out there. Each company has their own way around each other's patents.

Monitor uniformity on the PG279Q: at launch they sent every panel they had out the door based on their own quality standards. (To be honest I think Acer beat them to the punch and got the majority of the best panels for the XB271HU) So all the articles regarding the PG279Q will reference some of the terrible panels that were sent out. Mine isn't perfect, but I was wary of sending it in. As long as they passed their inspection, they were sent right back out, and people turned in okay monitors and got worse ones back. It was a pretty big deal. But most of that cleared up over time. (Acer had their own early issues with XB270HU, things like fingerprints and dirt between the anti-glare and LCD, again, quickly corrected)

Not sure what you mean by fixing a screen tearing issue. Any monitor will support V-sync at the least, that will eliminate tearing at the expense of increased input lag. Forces the monitor to only draw completed frames and the GPU will do its best to keep up. (If it can't it will redraw the same frame) G-sync and FreeSync are variable refresh rate technologies that turn control over to the GPU. They eliminate tearing by letting the GPU control the beginning of a frame draw. They also have an effect on input lag, but less so since the GPU is effectively predicting when it will have the next frame available. G-sync will also double up on frames to prevent tearing at low frame rates. I don't think FreeSync does that, but I'm not positive, but people don't really care about the low end.

Reactions: OSxSnowleopard

OSxSnowleopard

Honorable
Aug 3, 2013
Thanks for clearing things further. But I'm still confused with ASUS PG279Q panel. Few sites like tftcenral.uk(old review) mentioning it as a VA. While ASUS.com and rtings.com(newer review) showing it as an IPS display. Maybe you got an early model and new(refreshed) models are IPS panel? I personally don't want to go with VA monitors, as I sometimes sit back on my bed to play from distance and different angles. So good viewing angels of IPS panels are better choice over faster VA. I'm also looking at few G-Sync Acer predator IPS models as you're mentioning them. But many review sites are pointing that their color accuracy out of the box are average(without h/w calibration). Thus LG 27GL850 is still my top pick. But LG ultra gear 27GL850 is yet to launch in my country.

PG279Q is an AHVA panel. Which is still technically VA, but has more IPS like qualities.
It's not a VA panel at all, it's an AU Optronics brand IPS technology. The "VA" stands for viewing angles, unlike the VA panel type where the "VA" stands for vertical alignment. They don't have anything to do with each other technologically, they just both have "VA" in the name.