Question Asus PG32UQX - arrived with defect and dealing with the manufacturer ?

MrRipfrog

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
Hey everyone!

So I splurged and purchased the brand-new Asus PG32UQX as it seems a great option for my video editing (color accurate) and now hdr video editing... Oh yea, and I get to use it for gamming too.

Unfortunately my monitor arrived and had what appeared to be a patch of stuck pixels in the upper right hand corner of the screen. I would love to get some feedback regarding my experience with receiving a faulty monitor.

I purchased this monitor through Amazon and I reached out to them first who then connected me with Asus technical support. After I reset the monitor, tried a new cable, bla bla bla they told me to ship the monitor back to them. I ended up paying for the shipping container ($40) as they suggested I not use the original box as they "can't guarantee" that would be returned. They received it on August 15th and confirmed it would have to be fixed/replaced but that parts aren't available so I continue to wait.

This doesn't really make sense to me as usually when you receive a defective product, they take the defective one back and replace it with a new one. Am I out of touch with reality here? Now they want to repair it and send me back the repaired / refurbished item... My thoughts are if I wanted to save money and purchase a refurbished item, I would have done so but I paid for a new product. A $3200 new product.

I ended up writing the CEO's Office and received this response:

"Dear Eric Sorensen,

Thank you for your recent contact to our CEO's office!

Please allow me to apologize on behalf of ASUS for the issues you have experienced with your monitor and our services. My name is Dwayne and I am with the ASUS CEO office. I am following up with you regarding your recent complaint that was filed with our office.

I understand that you are disappointed with the fact that your device has not been considered for replacement since it arrived for service. We do apologize for the inconvenience this issue has caused you. Upon further review, I can see that your device is still within the turn a round time (7 - 10 business days) for repair since it was keyed in on July 15th. Our repair team has already ordered the part needed for service. If our repair team is unable to repair your device, a recertified refurbished replacement will be considered. Under the ASUS warranty policy, we do not provide brand new replacement units. The recertified unit comes direct from the manufacturing site and has not been used by any customers but may have new and/or remanufactured parts inside the unit; however we cannot classify it as a brand new unit since these are warranty units that are not intended for resale. This is also standard or common practice for most electronic devices when utilizing the manufacturer’s warranty."

Standard or Common Practice? Really?

Anyway, I'm just looking for some feedback from the community as it just seems wrong of them not to replace the unit with a new one, exactly what I paid for.

Thanks for your time and thoughts!
Eric

z0hBDdc.jpg

z6GxlOx.jpg

A495nRL.jpg

vTQdmDR.jpg

SilentMarket

Honorable
Jun 21, 2016
Nah. They are doing the repair job. They will tear monitors up and mess with the internals and hopefully fix stuff for you.
I don't remember the warranty of ASUS said anything about replacing a new one though.
And a $3200 replacement is equivalent of fraud in some regions... so good luck.

MrRipfrog

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
Thanks SilentMarket... I may have some luck on my side this time around.

But with how quiet the responses have been, I will take it I am crazy in thinking I should just get a replacement monitor instead of it going in for repair. :censored:

On the Asus side, the RMA repair status is they are still working on the monitor since July 15th. No updates and no idea when it will be returned.

On the Amazon side, I was able to get them to issue me a new replacement monitor which should be delivered this Friday the 6th, which is awesome! Then once I receive the refurbished monitor back from Asus, I will return that one to Amazon. Huge Kudos to Amazon and they have solidified me as a customer.

So for those that want a new item as purchased (watch out for Asus) and not to buy one with a defect and then have to wait a month or more to get back a refurbished unit, I highly recommend making your purchase from a quality seller who will support you if you end up with some quality control problems. And on that note, if you do have any quality control issues, demand a replacement if they try connecting you with the manufacture.

I definitely highly recommend NOT purchasing from Asus directly because if you get a faulty unit, you will play the waiting game and get a refurbished unit back with a very unenthusiastic and insincere "Sorry", but it's our policy, bla bla bla.

It's sad too because I have so many of Asus's products over the years and have had no issues up until this point. The one time I go in for a larger purchase and I get stung.

I hope this experience helps someone when dealing with a defective product.

Reactions: kingsaadi

kingsaadi

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
Hi Eric,

Curious to know what happened in your case in the end? Did the ASUS repair/refurbished monitor come back fully repaired/without any issues?

I myself am going through the same crap with ASUS right now. I ended up using my unit (PG329Q) for a couple of weeks because the issue as I've researched elsewhere appears on OLED TVs and usually remedied by general usage and using their inbuilt 'pixel refresher' technology. After contacting ASUS ROG and ASUS tech support they said the unit unfortunately has hardware issue which needs to be RMA'd. But, when I got the email from RMA service it read in BOLD & ITALICS "Goods presented for repair may be replaced by refurbished goods of the same type rather than being repaired. Refurbished parts may be used to repair the goods."

I would have thought it being a defective unit pretty much out of the box, it would be replaced with a new one. I would think repairing the same unit I send for RMA would be ok, but to prefer sending me another refurbished unit "rather than being repaired" doesn't seem right! I mean, for all I know, the refurbished unit may have dead pixels, bad IPS glow, etc but be not bad enough for ASUS to be considered 'faulty' - and if that were to happen, I would be getting ripped off 2x for buying a brand new item which was faulty (that's what it feels like atleast). Of course, IF these 'refurbished' units are flawless (no dead pixels, good uniformity, contrast ratio, no/minimal backlight bleed etc etc all as you would expect from a brand new unit) then there is absolutely no problem.

So yeah, I was wondering what happened to your repaired/refurbished unit?

I still haven't dropped mine off to the service centre yet.

Thanks

Thanks SilentMarket... I may have some luck on my side this time around.

But with how quiet the responses have been, I will take it I am crazy in thinking I should just get a replacement monitor instead of it going in for repair. :censored:

On the Asus side, the RMA repair status is they are still working on the monitor since July 15th. No updates and no idea when it will be returned.

On the Amazon side, I was able to get them to issue me a new replacement monitor which should be delivered this Friday the 6th, which is awesome! Then once I receive the refurbished monitor back from Asus, I will return that one to Amazon. Huge Kudos to Amazon and they have solidified me as a customer.

So for those that want a new item as purchased (watch out for Asus) and not to buy one with a defect and then have to wait a month or more to get back a refurbished unit, I highly recommend making your purchase from a quality seller who will support you if you end up with some quality control problems. And on that note, if you do have any quality control issues, demand a replacement if they try connecting you with the manufacture.

I definitely highly recommend NOT purchasing from Asus directly because if you get a faulty unit, you will play the waiting game and get a refurbished unit back with a very unenthusiastic and insincere "Sorry", but it's our policy, bla bla bla.

It's sad too because I have so many of Asus's products over the years and have had no issues up until this point. The one time I go in for a larger purchase and I get stung.

I hope this experience helps someone when dealing with a defective product.

MrRipfrog

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
Hey kingsaadi!

Sorry for the slow reply. For whatever reason, I didn't get a notification about you posting.

And ahhhh yes, you are experiencing exactly what I was dealing with and good ol ASUS. It still doesn't make any sense to my brain that if someone purchases a new anything and it's defective, that it is not just directly replaced with a new item/unit and moving on. ASUS, for whatever reason, would rather repair that brand new item and send it back to you, or in other words, you are buying a refurbished unit at new prices along with the wait.

I did receive a new monitor from Amazon, and it operates exactly as described right out of the box. It was actually a little more color accurate then the first unit I purchased which I suppose is lucky.

I did end up getting the refurbished unit back from ASUS after the new unit arrived from Amazon, so I didn't even bother turning it on and checking it. What I did notice with the returned unit is it had a lot of scuff marks on the glossy parts of the monitor which I would have been bummed about if I hadn't already received the new monitor. So I sent back that original refurbished monitor to Amazon and wiped my hands clean.

If you can, try getting a new replacement from the original vendor you purchased it from and avoid ASUS if you don't want the hassle.

Best of luck to you and please let me know what happens.

It's good info for anyone wanting to make an ASUS purchase and the best tactic to get the new item you want to buy.

Eric

Hi Eric,

Curious to know what happened in your case in the end? Did the ASUS repair/refurbished monitor come back fully repaired/without any issues?

I myself am going through the same crap with ASUS right now. I ended up using my unit (PG329Q) for a couple of weeks because the issue as I've researched elsewhere appears on OLED TVs and usually remedied by general usage and using their inbuilt 'pixel refresher' technology. After contacting ASUS ROG and ASUS tech support they said the unit unfortunately has hardware issue which needs to be RMA'd. But, when I got the email from RMA service it read in BOLD & ITALICS "Goods presented for repair may be replaced by refurbished goods of the same type rather than being repaired. Refurbished parts may be used to repair the goods."

I would have thought it being a defective unit pretty much out of the box, it would be replaced with a new one. I would think repairing the same unit I send for RMA would be ok, but to prefer sending me another refurbished unit "rather than being repaired" doesn't seem right! I mean, for all I know, the refurbished unit may have dead pixels, bad IPS glow, etc but be not bad enough for ASUS to be considered 'faulty' - and if that were to happen, I would be getting ripped off 2x for buying a brand new item which was faulty (that's what it feels like atleast). Of course, IF these 'refurbished' units are flawless (no dead pixels, good uniformity, contrast ratio, no/minimal backlight bleed etc etc all as you would expect from a brand new unit) then there is absolutely no problem.

So yeah, I was wondering what happened to your repaired/refurbished unit?

I still haven't dropped mine off to the service centre yet.

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS