Asus Poseidon 1080 Ti temps?

Potato Joe

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015
I have it watercooled with a 420mm radiator but the temps still go as high as 65°C with the fans at full speed. I've had the card for a while and the temps have slowly been creeping up. I just recently replaced the tubing because it had a bunch of white/yellow gunk completely preventing me from being able to see the red die in the distilled water. Without taking the GPU apart, can I check for that gunk in the block? And how can I get it out?

Solution
excellent thank you for your answers :) I will actually try a couple things like reapplying thermal to the dye and then getting a more secure bracket like a V1tech NZXT or something with adjustable height see if that helps if not I will try your solution with the new block. what exact model did you put on your card?

Lutfij

Titan
1| It's not a good idea to use dye's in a loop since they can and will break down. The breaking up of the dye is what constitutes to the gunk you're seeing.

2| I'm afraid you're going to have to disassemble the card and get to the restrictive parts within the block to clean it up with a toothbrush(if necessary). Unless you can find a needle like surgical endoscope to probe the cards internal waterblock construction.

3| You could flush the card with some warm water without disassembling the card's block but then again it's not going to be as effective as tearing it down and getting to it with a tooth brush.

Potato Joe

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015

So I'm going to have to disassemble the card to clean it? I'm not using die in the loop anymore because I wanted to see if the die was the problem, so at least I have that knowledge now. I'm using the EK Cryofuel Clear additive this time.

Potato Joe

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015

The solution for me ended up being to buy an Asus Strix waterblock, or standing the card vertically. The cooler on the Poseidon is heavy enough and poorly secured enough that laying in standard position will reduce contact between the GPU and the waterblock, while standing on a riser to have the fans pointing towards you will remove that issue.

Mar 21, 2018
So basically you never attempted to take the card apart?? and clean the block yourself? I'm not worried about the contact of the dye to the cooler I've already held my card up too see if it made better contact and that was a no I seen 0 temp drops I also have had a GPU bracket on my card since the day I got it so the cooler should be making perfect contact I feel like buying an EK block isn't the only solution in the world to fixe these temps and IF I get a ek block I'm going to destroy my warranty and I'm going to lose my very very sexy RGB window... do you possibly still have the cooler for your poseidon?? I'd actually like to know if you CAN take it apart for me or maybe I can even purchase your old block form you ad clean it myself

Potato Joe

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015

Maybe you can take the block apart? I certainly can't. I tried for four hours.

The point remains, my problem was solved by improving contact between the block and the GPU, regardless of how clean or not-clean the internals of the block were.

Mar 21, 2018
excellent thank you for your answers :) I will actually try a couple things like reapplying thermal to the dye and then getting a more secure bracket like a V1tech NZXT or something with adjustable height see if that helps if not I will try your solution with the new block. what exact model did you put on your card?

Solution

Potato Joe

Reputable
Jun 3, 2015

The Strix and Poseidon are the same PCB so pick your favorite Strix block ;P