Asus Power Supply Surge Detected

hughtrue

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
Recently every time I played Crysis 3 I will encounter system shut down and reboot, and the message "power surge detected' pop out. This happens after switching from AMD FX8350+Asus Crosshair V Formular to Intel i7 3770k+Asus Sabertooth z77, other components are from my previous rig. My psu is Corsair HX850W, and I have used it for more than 1 year. I heard it maybe the psu issue, though it works totally fine on previous rig. I don't have another psu to test out, so I am not sure if this is the psu issue. The system is never been overclocked.

So whats your opinion? Any advice will be appreciated.

What I have done include: :sol:
I also try to flash the bios to previous one, no help.
Try to clean the psu, there are not too mush dust there.
I try to disable the power suge detected in bios, but it is not working, still power surge detected.
I have monitor the voltage while playing other game like Far Cry 3, the results are in normal range ( +12v/12.096, +5V/5.000V, +3.3/3.328V)
Test prime95 stress test about 3 hours, nothing happens.
Test with Intel burn test, and system pass the test, the constant results show the cpu is stable

---
My pc spec are:
i7-3770k
Asus Sabertooth z77
Corsair Dominator GT 4GBx4
EVGA GTX 690
OCZ Vertex 4 128GB (OS)
1 usb hub which has its own power supply

hughtrue

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
what is burn test? :( I am currently running prime95 stress test to monitor the voltage and temperature change, currently the voltage still in the normal range.

hughtrue

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
Thanks, I just pass the intel burn test, and nothing happens, the result is really constant which means cpu is stable.

hughtrue

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
I think I have an answer, I just updated my pcie wireless adapter (Asus PCE-AC66), Asus just release new driver and new utility today, i just update the software, and now I just played 2 hours Crysis 3 multi-player without any problem. So i think the old driver may cause the problem that's why it only happens to crysis 3. I will keep testing it. If not, I will come back to the post.

Thank you for everyone who give me advises.

hughtrue

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
It happens again, and this time happens to MMO, after 3 hours gaming ,the system now just shut down and reboot. And I notice the voltage for the GPU is only 985 mv, so i boot it up to 1100 mv, hopefully it will fix it this time.

hughtrue

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
I think it is the PSU, I do not know if the 850W PSU is faulty or not, but I replaced it with a 1200w PSU, now the problem never happens, and I do not understand why my pc need more juice after upgrading a new motherboard and CPU, but a new psu does fix my problem.

TRENDING THREADS