ASUS power supply surges

jhheckmann

Commendable
Dec 29, 2016
My hand built PC has been running fine for about a month now but just recently it started to randomly shut down and give me this warning power supply surges detected during the previous power on. ASUS anti-surge was triggered to protect the system from unstable power unit. ¨ It will try to turn on for a second then immediately shut off and repeat. my PSU is a 1000w corsair. GPU: gtx 1070. CPU Intel I5 and an asus B85M-G 2.0 motherboard. All new. what is wrong? Is my wattage overkill? thanks for any help

Solution
Greetings again! Sorry for the delay, but work has kept me away from my computer. You could get a tester like this one here and test it yourself:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16899705003

Or you could take it in to a shop and get it tested, so you have a couple different options. Another simple test is if you have another PSU (or can borrow one from a friend) to plug into your system to see if there is a difference.

Hope this helps!

Albionm00n

Reputable
Jan 31, 2016
Greetings!

Do you have your computer plugged into a surge protector, or is it plugged straight into the wall? If straight into the wall, you may have unstable power from your mains that has triggered the warning. Your wattage is overkill, but that should not cause the problem, if anything your PSU is underutilized by you system. If you are plugged into a surge protector, it might be a good idea to get the PSU tested (or test it yourself if you know how).

Hope this helps!

jhheckmann

Commendable
Dec 29, 2016
Got a surge protector but that didnt fix the problem. Also removed a loose screw that might have been creating an electrical circuit. How do I test the PSU. What else could be wrong?

quotemsg=19210391,0,2179265]Greetings!

Do you have your computer plugged into a surge protector, or is it plugged straight into the wall? If straight into the wall, you may have unstable power from your mains that has triggered the warning. Your wattage is overkill, but that should not cause the problem, if anything your PSU is underutilized by you system. If you are plugged into a surge protector, it might be a good idea to get the PSU tested (or test it yourself if you know how).

Hope this helps![/quotemsg]

Albionm00n

Reputable
Jan 31, 2016
Greetings again! Sorry for the delay, but work has kept me away from my computer. You could get a tester like this one here and test it yourself:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16899705003

Or you could take it in to a shop and get it tested, so you have a couple different options. Another simple test is if you have another PSU (or can borrow one from a friend) to plug into your system to see if there is a difference.

Hope this helps!

Solution