ASUS Power-Surge detected

Pestindahouse

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2013
Hello. I have a fairly new computer, and this is the first time i've experienced this problem since i've built it.

The Asus power surge protection shut my pc off earlier, because of the PSU. Or so it says.. I don't know if it was an electrical power surge via the wall socket, but the PSU should have integrated protections. I'll list the specs below. What i've done until now was adding a Powersurge six-way plug, and boot the pc.

PC Specs:
I7 4790K @ stock
Asus H81 Mobo
12Gb ram @ stock
Asus R9 270X @stock
4x120MM fans, one with leds
2HDDs, 1SSD
Corsair CX600M (i know it has mixed reviews, but i am sure my pc uses less than 600W even under 100% load,and has not failed me until now, even after another powersurge, about 6 months ago, when the house fuses blew)

Solution
Even if you have 100W's of headroom(or so from the rated PSU's sticker says) I'd be very skeptical that the PSU is able to output exactly that amount of power to your system.
Tier Four:
Built down to a low price. Not exactly the most stable units ever created. Very basic safety circuitry or even thin gauge wiring used. Not for gaming rigs or overclocking systems of any kind. Avoid unless your budget dictates your choice.
^ more here

I'd advise you to borrow a similar wattage unit of a reliable and robust unit and try the system for a while. The PSU is considered the heart of the system so when it dies, it takes along everything with it, if it's built of bad quality.

* If fuses blow up in your...

Lutfij

Titan
Even if you have 100W's of headroom(or so from the rated PSU's sticker says) I'd be very skeptical that the PSU is able to output exactly that amount of power to your system.
Tier Four:
Built down to a low price. Not exactly the most stable units ever created. Very basic safety circuitry or even thin gauge wiring used. Not for gaming rigs or overclocking systems of any kind. Avoid unless your budget dictates your choice.
^ more here

I'd advise you to borrow a similar wattage unit of a reliable and robust unit and try the system for a while. The PSU is considered the heart of the system so when it dies, it takes along everything with it, if it's built of bad quality.

* If fuses blow up in your house, you'd need to get an electrician to take a look at the wiring and the connections in your house including the MDB(main distribution board) as this can and will take out more than just your investment, possibly your life(or lives).

Solution

Pestindahouse

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2013

I have *partially* solved the problem, i have bought and added an electrical appliance for the socket that tells me the voltage that goes to the now protected 6 way plug. The electrical wiring itself was redone 2 years ago, as the double wall socket is rated at 25Amps, 220V and a maximum of 6500W (i use the aircon and the pc in the mentioned socket).

The appliance records and displays the voltage in realtime,and also shuts off the power for whatever is connected to it if that goes above, and the maximum allowed for household electronics in Europe is 230V as far as i know. Yesterday it spiked at 237V, and that shut down my 6 way plug, with no damage. I am aware that my psu is not top notch and i should upgrade it, it was not meant for this system, as it was the first part i bought, and i will look forward for a AX series PSU. Current unit Maxes out at 552W peak power out of 600 labeled.

Towards the fuses that blew: i forgot to mention that happened because of a faulty plug that simply melted without me noticing (probably too much power draw for it to handle).

TRENDING THREADS