ASUS Power Surge - only happening when booting Windows 10 in Normal mode

Dudsmack

Reputable
Jul 1, 2014
Hello,

As of today, my computer doesn't start normally and I am receiving the ASUS Power Surge problem.
Problem appears the minute I reach the Log-in for Windows 10. After it stays for 5-6 seconds there(or if I try to enter in Windows) - system restarts with this message.
I tried to disable Asus's security through BIOS ; cleaned the whole machine and checked the cables ; tried different power cable and different socket in the room - nothing helps out.
What's strange(for me at least) is that machine is running normally, when I boot Windows 10 under Safe mode with Netwrok.
All devices seem to be detected properly. The only thing I noticed is that I don't have sound in Safe mode, but this could be like that in general(I have forgotten what has and doesn't have in Safe mode).
My machine is:
Motherboard Name: Asus H81M-A
CPU: intel i5 4570
VGA: Asus GTX 970 STRIX edition
RAM: - 2x8GB DDR Kingston(1600Mhz)
PSU: Fortron AURUM S 700W(http://www.fsplifestyle.com/PROP161000025/)

I am considering to bring the PC to the local service tomorrow, but was wondering if anybody knows what might be causing this. I am worried this might be the video card, since I know it isn't operating as default under Safe mode, in which I don't have troubles running my PC.

P.S. I just noticed something else - while running my PC in Safe mode, I noticed that the fans of my VGA don't run at all. Although I know the 970 STRIX version has a quiet mode without fans running on, until it reached a certain degree, I think this has never happened before.
Still - the VGA is foundable under device manager, so could it be the fans got broken and causing this power surge malfunction?

Solution
I figured it out, after trial and error...
I had ASUS GPU Tweak 2, but was using some old version, probably not compatible with Windows 10. Somehow, it overrided itself and probably clocked my card to the full limit, thus resulting in a power outage. Luckily for me, the video card is working ok.
I just uninstalled this under Safe mode and installed the latest version of the software.
Topic can be locked.

Dudsmack

Reputable
Jul 1, 2014
I figured it out, after trial and error...
I had ASUS GPU Tweak 2, but was using some old version, probably not compatible with Windows 10. Somehow, it overrided itself and probably clocked my card to the full limit, thus resulting in a power outage. Luckily for me, the video card is working ok.
I just uninstalled this under Safe mode and installed the latest version of the software.
Topic can be locked.

Solution