Jun 11, 2020
Guys, how's the ASUS power surge protected feature active?

I just upgraded my PC board to ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING, when I powered on the PC, it's will turn on for few seconds and turn off. After few second will turn on automatically and get into windows.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
What other parts? For psu=maker+model+wattage. For the rest in the pc can you do this,

download hwinfo,
install and open it=click run,
close the top window which is the system summary,
in the main window at the left top click "save report",
at the bottom of the next window check "Summary for Clipboard",
after that you'll see what's in the pc,
copy by clicking "copy to clipboard" and rightclick+paste in your next respons

From what you say can i not see why it is a surge protection that makes this happen and if it is should you maybe look how the new motherboard is placed in the case, maybe even breadboard.. Look if all cable connections are seated well.

Did you do a fresh install?

Maybe try a clear cmos as well.

Jun 11, 2020
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X (Matisse, MTS-B0)
3800 MHz (38.00x100.0) @ 3800 MHz (38.00x100.0)
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING
BIOS: 5406, 11/13/2019
Chipset: AMD X470 (Low-Power Promontory PROM28.A)
Memory: 16384 MBytes @ 1600 MHz, 16-18-18-36
- 8192 MB PC21300 DDR4 SDRAM - Corsair CMK16GX4M2Z3200C16
- 8192 MB PC21300 DDR4 SDRAM - Corsair CMK16GX4M2Z3200C16
Graphics: ASUS ROG STRIX RX 5700 XT OC
AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT, 8192 MB GDDR6 SDRAM
Drive: SAMSUNG SSD SM841 2.5" 7mm 512GB, 500.1 GB, Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 6Gb/s
Drive: WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0, 976.8 GB, Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 6Gb/s
Drive: WDC WD7500AAKS-00RBA0, 732.6 GB, Serial ATA 3Gb/s
Drive: WDC WD6400AAKS-65A7B0, 625.1 GB, Serial ATA 3Gb/s
Drive: SAMSUNG MZNLN256HMHQ-000H1, 250.1 GB, Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 6Gb/s
Sound: ATI/AMD Navi10 - High Definition Audio Controller
Sound: AMD Starship/Matisse/Vermeer - HD Audio Controller
Network: Atheros AR9287 Wireless Network Adapter
Network: Intel I211AT Copper (Pearsonville) Network Adapter

Look if all cable connections are seated well.
- Yes, all cables are tightly connected.

Did you do a fresh install?
- Nope.

Maybe try a clear cmos as well.
- Already clear CMOS and replace it.

I have a video but couldn't upload here...

I think it's unlikely but there are 3x 7.2k HDDs in there. If they are all on the same rail and spinning up at the same time, that might cause a 12v droop that could trigger the protection. The reason it doesn't happen the second time is that the drives already have some momentum and the motors don't have to work as hard during the second startup. Like I said it's a stretch. But easily testable. Unplug a few of the drives and see if the system boots normally. If it does you have your answer, if not then it's something else. What is your power supply maybe I'm blind but I don't see it listed? How old is your PSU? A good PSU will last 10years but a mediocre or low quality PSU will degrade quickly.

Does this same thing happen if you do a restart? Does it happen if you start in the BIOS and then boot to the OS? Or does it only happen

Jun 11, 2020
I have tried to remove all 3xHDD and all casing fan, still encountered same issue.

Tested on two PSU which is Cooler Master 600w silent pro bronze and Cooler Master MWE 700w bronze also having same issue.

PS. PSU 600w is old unit from previous previous PC, MWE 700w I just bought it few weeks ago.

Could be your RAM, make sure it is in the correct slots and seated properly. Check for your xmp/docp settings that RAM is running at the correct speed. Could be there is an instability and fail to boot and then reverting to stock 2133mhz settings which it can boot from.

InvalidError

Titan
Guys, how's the ASUS power surge protected feature active?
If what you meant to ask is how to know if the reason your PC is doing a "double-boot" might be anti-surge related, when anti-surge shuts down or restarts the computer, it'll display an error message on boot saying something along the line of "ASUS Anti-Surge shut down your computer to prevent damage" on the POST screen. If you see no such message, then your double-boot is caused by something else.

Jun 11, 2020
Could be your RAM, make sure it is in the correct slots and seated properly. Check for your xmp/docp settings that RAM is running at the correct speed. Could be there is an instability and fail to boot and then reverting to stock 2133mhz settings which it can boot from.

Removed all RAM and plugged one by one on each RAM slot... still couldn't solve the issue.
Yes, did reset BIOS also replaced the CMOS battery :D

Jun 11, 2020

Not sure it's PSU issue or not... Anyway, I planned to upgrade current PSU to Corsair RM750 Gold, let't see will solve the issue or not :)

Found this on ASUS ROG forum
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...normally-to-windows-(-only-happens-cold-boot)

Jun 11, 2020
If what you meant to ask is how to know if the reason your PC is doing a "double-boot" might be anti-surge related, when anti-surge shuts down or restarts the computer, it'll display an error message on boot saying something along the line of "ASUS Anti-Surge shut down your computer to prevent damage" on the POST screen. If you see no such message, then your double-boot is caused by something else.

Nope, didn't prompt any "Power surge related message".

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Jun 11, 2020
This is that newer motherboard? There is a very recent bios for it, Version 5601 from 2020/07/17 , might want to update to that and see if it helps.

Erm, X470 is 2018 product, but I just bought it on two months ago (New unit)

Yes, already updated BIOS Ver 5601, issue still persist :sneaky:

Actually I have give up to fix this, since it's not impact to me, just very annoying to have second boot into windows. But didn't cause me any issue after boot into Windows.

Anyway, thanks for your advise ;)