News Asus Preps Huge 4K HDMI 2.1 Gaming Monitor in Time for PS5, Xbox Series X

Kridian

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2005
Yeah, you put the 'Gamer' label on it and they'll price these absurdly high.
You also see this when they use the 'Enterprise' description as well.
Wallet says, "nope".

tresnugget

Reputable
Nov 5, 2018
PG43UQ uses DSC over display port. It doesn't use any compression over HDMI 2.0. Over HDMI it's still capped at 4k 60 hz

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
Coming from Asus, I am expecting pricey products. HDMI 2.1 will make sense for PC, but not for consoles. While the new consoles are fast, but I have doubts that they can run most games at native 4K with high framerates to match the 144hz.

Coming from Asus, I am expecting pricey products. HDMI 2.1 will make sense for PC, but not for consoles. While the new consoles are fast, but I have doubts that they can run most games at native 4K with high framerates to match the 144hz.
It will be interesting to see, the other part of 2.1 is VRR support. If we look at games like Gears 5 on the One X they run 4K 60fps. Now we all know it’s not true 4K and having played the same game on PC I know the PC does look noticeably better. However the One X is still very impressive given the hardware. I have no doubt the Series X will be capable of much higher FPS. Maybe they won’t aim for 120/144, could be they aim for 100 with VRR. I’m definitely not expecting all games to run like this but I believe it’s possible for some who invest the time and money.

I think they will surprise you. The next gen consoles have similar horse power to a current (june 2020) 1000 dollar PC. Based on analysis by Jayz2Cents. Because they are locked platforms they are also more optimized compared to PC games. I think there will also be a push for developers to really strive to hit a minimum of 4k60 for scenic games like tomb raider and really push framerates for FPS games. I fully expect the next COD or Battlefield to promote 4k120 on the new consoles. It's not like they weren't already working in that direction with PC ports. 4K120 is then a incremental improvement.