[SOLVED] ASUS Prime A320I-K component fell off

Jan 30, 2022
Hello guys, a component fell out of my motherboard. It appears to be a capacitor but I am not sure. Would anyone know how essential this part is? The motherboard can still boot up but I don't want to risk shorting anything.
I circled the component in red.

Thanks.

Solution
I have basic soldering skills but unfortunately the legs came off so I would need a replacement for it. On the component it says

EEA48
2.5V

Would you happen to know what this is? I could not find much information on it doing a google search. ASUS support doesn't seem to know either and the escalation will take a good amount of time.

2.5V 560uF poly aluminum. You'll have to search Amazon or Ebay for some. Probably get a hobby kit with a large variety. You can probably vary the value some (470-630uF in particular) but stay with the voltage rating. Pay close attention to height as it has to fit under the GPU.

With a 2.5V rating it is definitely not filtering +12V going onto the PCIE, it's going to be a VRM output filter...

kanewolf

Titan
Hello guys, a component fell out of my motherboard. It appears to be a capacitor but I am not sure. Would anyone know how essential this part is? The motherboard can still boot up but I don't want to risk shorting anything.

Thanks.
Based on the placement, I would expect it is for PCIe power, but since there are two it could be memory power regulation.

Reactions: johnnylambo

Thanks.
I think it's going to be supply filtering for the memory VRM since it makes better sense for PCIe filtering to be close to the voltage input end of the slot which is way down by the I/O slot covers. And down there you do find two more caps...one (gold) is output filtering for audio, the other would probably be the input filtering for +12V going onto the PCIe slot.

Without it you'll have poor voltage control for the device it supports...that means unstable operation at best which would be very bad for memory. At worst, memory DIMM's could be seeing very high voltages without the filtering so they won't last long. It's a fairly easy replace for a moderately skilled tech.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2022
I think it's going to be supply filtering for the memory VRM since it makes better sense for PCIe filtering to be close to the voltage input end of the slot which is way down by the I/O slot covers. And down there you do find two more caps...one (gold) is output filtering for audio, the other would probably be the input filtering for +12V going onto the PCIe slot.

Without it you'll have poor voltage control for the device it supports...that means unstable operation at best which would be very bad for memory. At worst, memory DIMM's could be seeing very high voltages without the filtering so they won't last long. It's a fairly easy replace for a moderately skilled tech.

I have basic soldering skills but unfortunately the legs came off so I would need a replacement for it. On the component it says

EEA48
2.5V

Would you happen to know what this is? I could not find much information on it doing a google search. ASUS support doesn't seem to know either and the escalation will take a good amount of time.

EEA48
2.5V

2.5V 560uF poly aluminum. You'll have to search Amazon or Ebay for some. Probably get a hobby kit with a large variety. You can probably vary the value some (470-630uF in particular) but stay with the voltage rating. Pay close attention to height as it has to fit under the GPU.

With a 2.5V rating it is definitely not filtering +12V going onto the PCIE, it's going to be a VRM output filter.

EDIT add: OH YES: it's polarized. You have to find the positive terminal, hopefully the board has markings. If not the picture might be a guide.

Last edited:
Solution
. You can probably vary the value some (470-630uF in particular) but stay with the voltage rating. Pay close attention to height as it has to fit under the GPU.
I thought it was the other way around. The capacitance value must be the same but voltage rating can be larger and it's not an issue, physical size aside?

Or are poly caps different than electrolytic?

I thought it was the other way around. The capacitance value must be the same but voltage rating can be larger and it's not an issue, physical size aside?

Or are poly caps different than electrolytic?
It can be a higher voltage, but that frequently means a physically larger cap too. Size is important in the tight areas and behind my reasoning to stay with 2.5V.

They're generally quite tolerant of capacitance value in a tight range, especially in a very lightly stressed VRM such as memory. I've never had a problem subbing in a value one or two out...one out is not going to be noticed. Some enthusiasts do capacitor mods to CPU and GPU VRM's where they add a lot more caps in parallel, effectively doubling or tripling total capacitance for improved voltage stability when heavily stressed due to overclocking. Some mfr's cheap out on GPU reference designs and leave out capacitors in the VRM, effectively reducing cost and total capacitance as well as stability for overclocking.

Last edited: