Question Asus prime a320m-k and ryzen 3 1200

steveis2

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2016
Hi,
I have an Asus Prime a320m-k motherboard which was running fine with an A10 9700 CPU and GTX 750 ti. It has 8Gb of corsair memory. I now have a Ryzen 3 1200 plugged into the motherboard but the system won't boot. All there is is a slowly flashing orange light at the base of the PCIe slot. According to ASUS support the installed BIOS 0806 should support the Ryzen 3 1200 as 0806 is higher than 0217 which is the one that is initially suggested on the support pages for 1st generation Ryzens.
Could it be the ram, the CPU, or the motherboard that is the problem? I installed ram taken from another system to see if it made a difference but it didn't. I reinstalled the A10 9700 and everything once again worked just fine. With the Ryzen 1200 back in the motherboard it won't boot again.
If anyone can suggest a possible culprit I'd appreciate it.

Regards Steve

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I agree, based on reading the BIOS notes that up to 0806 should be proper for Ryzen 1xxx.

Where did your source this R3 1200 and do you have a return option?

What power supply is in this system and how old is it?

The only reference I can find to an LED for this motherboard is related to the network port on the back.

Do you happen to have a speaker you can attach to this mobo to see if it is throwing codes?

steveis2

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2016
I agree, based on reading the BIOS notes that up to 0806 should be proper for Ryzen 1xxx.

Where did your source this R3 1200 and do you have a return option?

What power supply is in this system and how old is it?

The only reference I can find to an LED for this motherboard is related to the network port on the back.

Do you happen to have a speaker you can attach to this mobo to see if it is throwing codes?

Hi,
The CPU is off ebay and if it doesn't work, full stop, I think I'm covered by the ebay money back guarantee, atleast in principal.
The power supply is a cheap one from CCL computers but the A10 9700 and ryzen 3 1200 are both 65W processors , so in theory atleast it probably should be ok.
I have tried two small speakers in the PC. Neither of them made a peep when I tried to boot the machine.
I know that early Ryzen cpus were finicky about memory so I'm going to see if the corsair memory is in the motherboards qvl. It's 3000 memory so I wonder if that's too fast(?). The A10 9700 was running it at 2133. I'm not familiar with the ASUS bios as I've usually had Asrock motherboards in the past, so maybe some tinkering with the A10 9700 back in 'might' help although I'm not sure.

Steve

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yes, 1xxx Ryzen and the 3xx motherboards were a bit picky about RAM, but later BIOS updates helped with that to some extent.
On those early boards I had great performance out of Crucial, ADATA, GSkill sticks. I have some of the older 3000 speed Corsair LED sticks that only do one color and they would work fine in one mobo I had, but not the other exact same mobo. (they were B350 Fatality versions)

I am not sure how you would determine the CPU to be bad if you don't have another test bed available.