Question Asus Prime B360M-A not booting with 4 Dimms installed

Sep 13, 2022
Odd memory issue with the Prime B360M-A
I've recently upgraded from 2x8gb Crucial to 4x8gb, of exactly the same type - 4x CT8G4DFRA266. With 4 Dimms installed, the PC wont boot at all, but it will with 2 installed. Installing two in A1 & B1 works, as does in A2 and B2. Also i've tried every dimm in those configurations, so shows all the memory sticks work and all the memory slots on the motherboard work. But, with all 4 installed - nothing! Can't even get to Bios.
Bios is upgraded to the latest version as well.
I've checked the CPU (I5 9400f) is installed correctly with no bent pins on the socket - all fine.
Plenty of power - 600w PSU.
I've reset the CMOS.

I really can't work this out, so any help will be appreciated.

Last edited:
Hey there,

If you didn't have a 4 x matched kit, then there's no guarantee it will work.

Mixing DIMMS often leads to instability, and that's despite buying a kit that is 'an exact' match to the other ones you bought. Even when kits are the same, they can have minor discrepancies in silicon, which can mean they may not work together.

Are you using XMP/DOCP to set the timings? You can also try manually set the primary timings and voltage. This may work.

Sadly, it may take some tinkering to get these to work together.

Best bet is to by a matched 4 x kit, or 2x 16gb kit, which is much more likely to work. Then sell your current ram to offset the cost.

Last edited: