ASUS Prime B450 Plus no RAM no error beeps

Nov 5, 2018
Breadboard ASUS Prime B450 Plus with Ryzen 7 2700 and wraith cooler correctly installed, eventually found dead RAM and D.O.A with supplier. The M/B has working beep speaker attached and has produced correct beeps with working memory, however with no memory installed there are no error beeps. Correct me if I am wrong, but this does not appear normal, is the M/B faulty or is there just no "missing RAM" error beep codes on this M/B?

Nov 5, 2018
No beeps with only cpu, cooler, 8 pin and 24 pin attached...... What happened is I found faulty RAM in my sys build purchase, it was difficult to troubleshoot due to no error beeps, I found the issue when I borrowed other DDR4. Then I found that 1 stick of the build DDR4 worked but not the other. The working stick works in all slots correctly. During the troubleshooting process I found it odd that I got beeps for the sys functioning correctly (all hardware attached and working win10 build), but no beeps when in error (no Mem, GPU, K/B etc). The 2x8g 3200mhz DDR4 has since been RMA'd and I currently have no memory in the system, awaiting the replacement mem to arrive. If I fire up the complete build right now (minus the RAM) I still get no error beeps.

Nov 5, 2018
So the short answer is that I am trying to work out if this "no error beeps issue" is a fault with the M/B, and whether or not I need to RMA the M/B as well?

Without functional memory, depending on the board, it may not be ABLE to beep. Every board I've ever worked with that had a system speaker would beep without memory installed though.

Doesn't that board have an LED Q-code display?

Edit: Nope, I see it doesn't. I won't buy a board these days that doesn't have one. Makes troubleshooting so much easier.

Nov 5, 2018
Yea, I thought that myself, no Q-code is a right pain in the ass. The ASUS error codes seem to be not quite specific (when speaking of b450, x470 etc) and when I spoke to ASUS they appeared somewhat unsure as to what a motherboard even was (lol). When I had the faulty memory installed there where no error codes, but once I took the stick at fault out, the beeps indicated all POST correct ????? ... So now I am waiting for either ASUS or the supplier to confirm what the situation actually is?

Nov 5, 2018

Thanks Darkbreeze, That is actually the one I am leaning towards given the experience with the prime b450 plus :) x470 is sort of creeping out of my price range at this stage on this one.