[SOLVED] ASUS Prime B450M-A and windows installation

Teknoman2

Reputable
Oct 13, 2020
When i got the parts bellow i was preparing for a format and re-installation of windows but it seemed to be doing fine without it so i left it as is.
Ryzen 3600
2x8GB g-skill ripjaws 3200
Samsung 860 QVO 1TB
and the title's mobo.
the rest is what i already had
XFX RX470
Corsair CS650W PSU
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

Soon after i had random restarts while gaming and i read around that it was probably an AMD driver problem. Today i decided to do that format to remove that as a potential source for the problem so i set up the bios to boot from the USB stick i had for windows installation. The problem now, is that as soon as the windows files are loaded and i get sent to the windows installation screen, both the keyboard and mouse stop working. i tried swapping around the USB ports but nothing and all the LEDs on them turn off as if they stopped getting power. I don't know if its just them that stop working or there is something else going on like a system freeze. Any idea on what i can do is welcome as i'm at the end of my rope here.

Solution
When i got the parts bellow i was preparing for a format and re-installation of windows but it seemed to be doing fine without it so i left it ...
Best strategy for long-term Windows stabiity is to do a clean install. Just bite the bullet, run a backup and do it. It's not that hard, actually pretty fast, and you might amaze yourself with just how much it improves Windows performance.
Oct 27, 2020
Hi, did you check the BIOS version?
Another trick may be to load all BIOS defaults and put only one RAM in the 2'Nd slot. You probably have DDR working in XMP mode as your RAM is 3200. Ripjaws normally are 2100 MHz @1.2V in JEDEC, not 3200. It may happen that memory controller has a problem while loading windows.
These random restarts and freeses tell me about failure in RAM overclocking.

Teknoman2

Reputable
Oct 13, 2020
When i remove XMP it gives me BSOD. Anyway i fixed the problem, i just had to disconnect one of the SSDs
As for the random restarts it was a driver problem for the RX470 that went away when i installed an older version

When i got the parts bellow i was preparing for a format and re-installation of windows but it seemed to be doing fine without it so i left it ...
Best strategy for long-term Windows stabiity is to do a clean install. Just bite the bullet, run a backup and do it. It's not that hard, actually pretty fast, and you might amaze yourself with just how much it improves Windows performance.

Solution