[SOLVED] Asus prime b450m-a mosfet cooling idea

Sep 13, 2019
Hi, id like to push my r5-1600 to higher clocks but im concerned about my mosfet temps so i figured out i could do some DIY heatsinks.

I found some online shops selling aluminium heatsinks and thermalconductive double sided tapes and im torn between how i should go about it...

Option A: buy multiple small heatsinks and have each one for couple of mosfets - i would need 6 separate heatsinks to cover all of them

Option B: buy two long heatsinks and have it cool all the mosfets in a line.

My cpu cooler will be amd wraith prism so there will be quite abit air going down on the motherboard already but im wondering if it will be enough for such purpose.

Buying higher tier motherboard is not really an option because im trying to spend as little as possible. I know i should have bought mobo with them when i was building pc but hadn't had idea that overclocking will be so fun to me as it's first time im trying some serious oc.

My cpu is stable at 4.1 ghz but quite hot, i have a feeling that with proper cooling and mosfets with heatsinks on i will be able to push it to 4.2 or higher.

Solution
I don't think overclocking a 1600 would really stress the vrm's in anyway. You're in a case with case fans should be fine. Do you have hwinfo64 and can you check the vrm temps in that program?

Lutfij

Titan
You might want to pass on your current system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Before you embark on that overclocking adventure. Most people forget that overclocking will need everyone to be on par with quality and tolerance when being stressed. You also forgot to add the links to the heatsinks you're looking at.

Sadly though, you're wrong, it's not 6, rather, the smaller surface mounted power delivery modules next to the chokes as well.

You might want to reconsider buying a new board with a beefy power delivery heatsink since a dead board will automatically mean you buying a new board.

Sep 13, 2019
CPU: r5-1600
Motherboard: asus prime b450m-a
Ram: 16gb ddr4 hyperx 2666mhz oc to 2933
SSD/HDD: kingston A2000 500gb m.2 ssd
GPU: gtx 1050ti
PSU: Thermaltake Smart BX1 550W 80 Plus Bronze
Chassis: zalman s2

As said before i already reached 4.1 ghz oc on wraith spire cooler but temps were going too high for my liking so i should be fine with temps with wraith prism.

My airflow comes from rear fan as intake 1500rpm and top fan mounted very close to cpu heatsink as an exhaust at 1200rpm.

Yes i know that even if i oc my cpu to hell, my gpu will hold me back in games anyway but it's not of a big concern to me, i just want to play around my cpu and see how high it can go.

Right now my cpu sits at 3.9 ghz daily use oc.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
And you neglect the gpu. The ssd. The Sata controller, Northbridge chipset.

All your air goes in, hits the cpu fan directly, then up. There's no circulation in the lower areas. Any componentry there gets cooked.

Has nothing to do with whether it's next to a wall or not, or like mine and sits in a cubby in the desk, it has everything to do with flow. In one end and out the other, picking up heat from everything.

You setup only picks up heat from the socket area. That puts no air flow anywhere else. Your high OC desires are good only for a benchmark, nothing else as everything else is going to suffer, eventually affecting stability and guaranteed affecting the lifespan of the mobo. A Sata controller chipset can easily reach in excess of 90°C, and you insist on letting it stew in its heat with no airflow.

Forget about buying heatsinks for the VRM's, spend your money on some decent fans before you end up needing to replace the mobo too.

prophet51

Reputable
Jun 14, 2019
I don't think overclocking a 1600 would really stress the vrm's in anyway. You're in a case with case fans should be fine. Do you have hwinfo64 and can you check the vrm temps in that program?

Solution