[SOLVED] ASUS Prime B450M-A will not post

Apr 5, 2020
Reaching my wits end, cannot seem to get this build to POST. Have tried onboard HDMI & DVI video. Appreciate any guidance or suggestions.. thanks!

Mobo: ASUS Prime B450M-A/CSM
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (12nm) (YD1600BBAFBOX)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 2400 (CMK16GX4M2A2400C16)
PSU: EVGA B5 550 W W 80+ Bronze

Solution
The GT 710 was confirmed working before you installed it? The monitor is plugged into said card as well?

The other thing would be to test one stick of ram at a time in each of the motherboard slots.
If that doesn't work, then take the cpu out and check for bent/broken pins.
Apr 5, 2020
Dedicated gpu? 1600 AF nor the motherboard have built-in graphics processors.
Just realized that right after posting. It’s been 10 years since my last build, I’m rusty! Should I swap out the CPU for one with GPU or just add a low end video card? (This will mostly be a file/Plex server).

Apr 5, 2020
Update - threw in an MSI GT 710 and still can't get the system to POST.

Does anyone have experience with using the AF revision AMD Ryzen 5 1600 on the B450?

It is on the supported list as per ASUS, but requires BIOS 1804 rather than 0219 as the previous version 1600. Wondering if the B450 might have shipped with a pre-1804 BIOS.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The GT 710 was confirmed working before you installed it? The monitor is plugged into said card as well?

The other thing would be to test one stick of ram at a time in each of the motherboard slots.
If that doesn't work, then take the cpu out and check for bent/broken pins.

Solution
Also do a battery out CMOS reset.

It's a 1600, whether AF or AE it should appear as a first gen Ryzen to the BIOS and B450 boards all work natively with them. But even if it appeared as a 2nd gen, B450's all work natively with that too. But you WILL have to update BIOS to get best memory support in particular.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020
Also do a battery out CMOS reset.

It's a 1600, whether AF or AE it should appear as a first gen Ryzen to the BIOS and B450 boards all work natively with them. But even if it appeared as a 2nd gen, B450's all work natively with that too. But you WILL have to update BIOS to get best memory support in particular.

Can you help me confirm this? I will be receiving a 1600 af tomorrow with this same motherboard. No idea what bios the mobo will have but since it is a relatively new bios(seemingly released to support the mainstream release of this cpu), I doubt it will have the version asus claims is compatible. I have heard rumors that it wont work with certain stock mobo b450 bios.

Can you help me confirm this? I will be receiving a 1600 af tomorrow with this same motherboard. No idea what bios the mobo will have but since it is a relatively new bios(seemingly released to support the mainstream release of this cpu), I doubt it will have the version asus claims is compatible. I have heard rumors that it wont work with certain stock mobo b450 bios.
Confirm what? Only your seller can tell you what BIOS your board will be shipped with.... and you, once you get it.

Also, just because it 'works' with a BIOS doesn't mean it's a 'good' version for the particular CPU. Ryzen 3000 has been out long enough that most boards now in stores have a BIOS suitable for it. With that BIOS you should be able to at least update to the latest (v 2006) which should provide best support.

But it also might easily come with v2006 already loaded on it. I can't confirm that, only the people you buy it from can.