[SOLVED] Asus Prime B450M Gaming - Use of 3600 vs 3600X - Overclock/PBO/TDP/Power Consumption/Temperatures

Andrei_2

Honorable
Sep 6, 2015
I do have a Asus Prime B450M Gaming, which doesn't have VRM heatsinks. I didn't know much about MOBOs, all I knew is that B450M models supported overclock, something which my failing A320M that I had to replace didn't, so I thought it was a good upgrade, just didn't knew about VRM heatskins. Well, you live and learn.

So because of that I was looking for a new CPU with lower TDP so I can push the clocks a bit further, and chose the 3600 (65W). However, I mistakenly bought the 3600X (95W) and its already shipped (the price was almost the same so I don't really care for the difference in price).

So I decided to look further about those TDP numbers, and in many cases it says that its power consumption are basically the same.

In one review I've read, it says this "The only thing that makes the R5 3600 a 65 watt TDP part, is the 65 watt cooler, while the 3600X is a 95 watt TDP part because it comes with a 95 watt cooler." So it basically means that the 3600X needs a better cooler because it gets hotter as you expect it to run on higher clocks, not that it consumes more power. So if both are running on the same clock, with the same cooler, the'll have the exactly same temperature and power consumption?

I already planned on using it with a Wraith Prism that I already own, so the advertised TDP and temperature readings means basically nothing at this point, right?

The thing is, I'm thinking about not returning the 3600X and keeping it after reading those comments, because I already have a Wraith Prism, which is better than the box cooler of those both CPUs.

TLDR:

1 - Using the 5 3600 or the 5 3600X with its native boosts and Precision Boost Overdrive is safe for my Asus Prime B450M Gaming with no VRM heatsinks? Is there any risk to damage the motherboard?

2- The 3600 and 3600X are basically the same chip if they're on the same conditions, right? I mean, lets say both are running at 4.2GHz, with the same cooler, they will consume the same power and have the same temperature?

Solution
I do have a Asus Prime B450M Gaming, which doesn't have VRM heatsinks. I didn't know much about MOBOs, all I knew is that B450M models supported overclock, something which my failing A320M that I had to replace didn't, so I thought it was a good upgrade, just didn't knew about VRM heatskins. Well, you live and learn.

So because of that I was looking for a new CPU with lower TDP so I can push the clocks a bit further, and chose the 3600 (65W). However, I mistakenly bought the 3600X (95W) and its already shipped (the price was almost the same so I don't really care for the difference in price).

So I decided to look further about those TDP numbers, and in many cases it says that its power consumption are basically the same.

In...

In one review I've read, it says this "The only thing that makes the R5 3600 a 65 watt TDP part, is the 65 watt cooler, while the 3600X is a 95 watt TDP part because it comes with a 95 watt cooler." So it basically means that the 3600X needs a better cooler because it gets hotter as you expect it to run on higher clocks, not that it consumes more power. So if both are running on the same clock, with the same cooler, the'll have the exactly same temperature and power consumption?

I already planned on using it with a Wraith Prism that I already own, so the advertised TDP and temperature readings means basically nothing at this point, right?

The thing is, I'm thinking about not returning the 3600X and keeping it after reading those comments, because I already have a Wraith Prism, which is better than the box cooler of those both CPUs.

TLDR:

1 - Using the 5 3600 or the 5 3600X with its native boosts and Precision Boost Overdrive is safe for my Asus Prime B450M Gaming with no VRM heatsinks? Is there any risk to damage the motherboard?

2- The 3600 and 3600X are basically the same chip if they're on the same conditions, right? I mean, lets say both are running at 4.2GHz, with the same cooler, they will consume the same power and have the same temperature?
TDP is related to but is not same as electrical power consumption, it's more useful for choosing a cooler.
Yes 3600 and 3600x are basically same chips and as with all Ryzen, x are just higher binned with unlocked PBO enabling possibly higher boost.
I believe that 3600x will not damage VRM on that MB but if you are worried you can always disable PBO and that would keep it at non-x power usage and and performance. It's just that I wouldn't put any stronger processor like 3900x/3950x.

Solution