[SOLVED] Asus Prime b550-plus no vga detected

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustSomeNumbers

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2014
Motherboard: Asus Prime b550-plus(bought new today)
Cpu: amd ryzen 5 3600x
Ram: 2x g.skill ripjaw v ddr4 3200
Gpu: gigabyte Nvidia GeForce gtx 680 2gb(I've been using this card for the last two weeks).

I'm not trying to use the onboard display ports, I don't have an apu so they won't work.

The motherboard is to replace the one I was using. The cpu, ram, graphics card, and other devices all worked fine in the old mobo.

Things I've tried that didn't resolve it:
Clear cmos
Reseat gpu
Checked power cables
Tried both ram sticks individually in slot b2 recommended in manual
Display port cable
Hdmi cable
Hdmi cable with dvi adapter
Dvi cable that maybe works
Second dvi cable that I know works

I'm not sure what else I can try to fix the problem, no matter what I've tried the motherboard says no vga at boot. White light on the motherboard is lit and post beeps one long 3 short every time I try to boot. Any suggestions?

Motherboard: Asus Prime b550-plus(bought new today)
Cpu: amd ryzen 5 3600x
Ram: 2x g.skill ripjaw v ddr4 3200
Gpu: gigabyte Nvidia GeForce gtx 680 2gb(I've been using this card for the last two weeks).

I'm not trying to use the onboard display ports, I don't have an apu so they won't work.

The motherboard is to replace the one I was using. The cpu, ram, graphics card, and other devices all worked fine in the old mobo.

Things I've tried that didn't resolve it:
Clear cmos
Reseat gpu
Checked power cables
Tried both ram sticks individually in slot b2 recommended in manual
Display port cable
Hdmi cable
Hdmi cable with dvi adapter
Dvi cable that maybe works
Second dvi cable that I know works

I'm not sure what else I can try to fix the problem, no matter what I've tried the motherboard says no vga at boot. White light on the motherboard is lit and post beeps one long 3 short every time I try to boot. Any suggestions?
Have you tried with BIOS in non-UEFI/CSM/Legacy mode ?

JustSomeNumbers

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2014
MSI X570-A Pro. I was having issues with intermittent stalling in video and audio that turned out to not be gpu-related, so I thought the mobo might be responsible. The gtx 680 I'm using is a backup card while my rtx 2080 is being rma'd for overheating issues.

JustSomeNumbers

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2014
My primary gpu is an rtx 2080. It's currently being rma'd because it was hitting 85+C under normal use. The stalling issue was present and I presumed related to the 2080. I bought the 680 to temporarily replace the 2080. It powered on just fine, I was able to play borderlands 3 for example, however the stalling issue remained, so I'm of the opinion it was related to the msi board.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
At this point, could be a defective motherboard, some component was damaged during the swap, or a defective GPU. Isolating the issue would be easier if you had access to another GPU or a PC to test your current GPU in.

You can also check your current config for any extra standoffs/mounting points, verify all components are fitted/installed properly, and look at the back panel ports to make sure nothing is protruding into them (like the little "fingers" many ATX I/O plates have).

JustSomeNumbers

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2014
I checked the mounting earlier, no issue I could detect. I didn't want to have to but I suppose I'll have to pull the Radeon out of my media server and see if the Asus board boots with that. I'll check back in after I do that.

JustSomeNumbers

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2014
I checked the mounting earlier, no issue I could detect. I didn't want to have to but I suppose I'll have to pull the Radeon out of my media server and see if the Asus board boots with that. I'll check back in after I do that.

Successful post with Radeon r9 380. Wonder what happened, the gtx 680 was working fine in the msi board.

JustSomeNumbers

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2014
Now that my pc is up and running again here's what I did:
After booting to bios with the Radeon r9 380, I changed the CSM/compatibility mode(under the boot manager) and set the pci-e slots to legacy-only non-uefi. After doing so, I was able to plug in the GTX 680 again and the pc booted normally. No idea if that's what the problem was but it boots now and I wanted to include this post in case it helps someone else.

Reactions: COLGeek
Status
Not open for further replies.