[SOLVED] ASUS PRIME B550M-A or MSI B450 GAMING PLUS MAX for Ryzen 5 3600?

Pessut

Commendable
Apr 13, 2020
Which motherboard would you recommend for Ryzen 5 3600?

ASUS PRIME B550M-A or
MSI B450 GAMING PLUS MAX

Solution
I will be just using it for gaming and no overclocking.

I'd still recommend the B550, since it is much more futureproof than B450. 500 series motherboards still have support for several more series of processors, whereas 400 series pretty much end at 3000 series Ryzen, with a beta bios for 5000 series Ryzen. Obviously, an ATX B550 would be your best bet, but it is much more expensive, so stick with the B550 micro atx.

Flamebrander

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
Depends on what you need. B450 chipset is still relevant today, but it lacks in PCIE gen 4 capabilities in which B550 can sort of make up for. Both can easily handle your 3600, so it really boils down to whether or not you'd rather have pcie gen 4 and slightly better power design or a larger board. I personally would choose the b550 board, but it's up to you.

Pessut

Commendable
Apr 13, 2020
Depends on what you need. B450 chipset is still relevant today, but it lacks in PCIE gen 4 capabilities in which B550 can sort of make up for. Both can easily handle your 3600, so it really boils down to whether or not you'd rather have pcie gen 4 and slightly better power design or a larger board. I personally would choose the b550 board, but it's up to you.
Witch board has better cooling?

Flamebrander

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
Witch board has better cooling?

If by cooling you mean VRM cooling, then the b550-m does. It also has a better power delivery, meaning more stable overclocks, and just overall better experience. It's well reviewed for excellent VRM thermals.

Then again, the same goes for the b450, but at the takeaway of less power phases, which means (although you most likely won't feel a real life difference) that it'll be less stable at higher overclocks.

To conclude, the B550 has a better power design and PCIE gen 4 capabilities, and the B450 lacks those but it is cheaper, but has a larger form factor. This means that there are more expansion slots, so if you wanted to put say wifi cards in or internal capture cards, you would have the freedom to do that.

Pessut

Commendable
Apr 13, 2020
If by cooling you mean VRM cooling, then the b550-m does. It also has a better power delivery, meaning more stable overclocks, and just overall better experience. It's well reviewed for excellent VRM thermals.

Then again, the same goes for the b450, but at the takeaway of less power phases, which means (although you most likely won't feel a real life difference) that it'll be less stable at higher overclocks.

To conclude, the B550 has a better power design and PCIE gen 4 capabilities, and the B450 lacks those but it is cheaper, but has a larger form factor. This means that there are more expansion slots, so if you wanted to put say wifi cards in or internal capture cards, you would have the freedom to do that.

Flamebrander

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020

I'd still recommend the B550, since it is much more futureproof than B450. 500 series motherboards still have support for several more series of processors, whereas 400 series pretty much end at 3000 series Ryzen, with a beta bios for 5000 series Ryzen. Obviously, an ATX B550 would be your best bet, but it is much more expensive, so stick with the B550 micro atx.

Solution