Question ASUS Prime B560M-A orange light, not booting normally

Apr 19, 2022
I have an ASUS Prime B560M-A from a prebuilt that I just bought. PC will not post and boot normally, but will boot into windows after posting in safe mode and going through the boot menu. My motherboard manual says that the light is due to an issue with the RAM. BIOS recognizes both sticks and so does Windows after checking with both Windows settings and CPU-Z. I'm running 16 GB in dual-channel.

What could be the issue here? I've heard many different things after looking around. Is a stick not seated properly? Is it a bad ram slot? Could it be a bad power supply?

Specs:
i7 1700F
Asus Prime B560M-A
16 GB OLOY 3200mhz
Gigabyte EAGLE OC Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti
1TB Intel NVMe SSD
Thermaltake SMART 700 80+ Gold 700w

Pic of light

Last edited:
Brand new prebuilt? Contact your retailer. First thing I would check is if you're "allowed" to mess with the hardware yourself. It could be that doing that would void your warranty.

Since it's new and both sticks are recognized in Safe Mode, it seems to me personally that Windows is not working correctly. You could try and do a complete reinstall or repair Windows with a bootable USB drive, but in your current situation I'd contact your retailer first.

Apr 19, 2022
Brand new prebuilt? Contact your retailer. First thing I would check is if you're "allowed" to mess with the hardware yourself. It could be that doing that would void your warranty.

Since it's new and both sticks are recognized in Safe Mode, it seems to me personally that Windows is not working correctly. You could try and do a complete reinstall or repair Windows with a bootable USB drive, but in your current situation I'd contact your retailer first.

The computer is from ABS (Newegg). The warranty covers the parts that came with the PC, but it says nothing about replacing parts yourself (those aren't covered.) Almost everyone who buys these swaps out the CPU cooler.

It's funny that you mention a corrupt Windows installation. When I got the PC, it came with a bad GPU. I thought it was a corrupt Windows install since that can be common with prebuilts. While I still had the bad GPU, I wiped the drive and re-installed Windows. After I did that, I figured the GPU was bad and I was able to get a new one sent out pretty quickly.

Apr 19, 2022
So Windows is already reinstalled, it's still not posting and you've already replaced a GPU? Send it back.. So many issues right from the start just isn't right. I'd have them ship me a working system, this search for an answer could take ages.

I asked a friend and he said that XMP might be causing the issue. I turned it on as soon as I got the PC.

I'll check it out tomorrow when I have access again.

I asked a friend and he said that XMP might be causing the issue. I turned it on as soon as I got the PC.

I'll check it out tomorrow when I have access again.

As you should. Better yet, it should be turned on by the supplier. Should be illegal selling a prebuilt without turning on XMP, haha. If that fixes the problem, try to find your RAM timings and try to manually set them. It does happen in some cases that XMP messes things up. You could always try to do a BIOS update.

Apr 19, 2022
As you should. Better yet, it should be turned on by the supplier. Should be illegal selling a prebuilt without turning on XMP, haha. If that fixes the problem, try to find your RAM timings and try to manually set them. It does happen in some cases that XMP messes things up. You could always try to do a BIOS update.

Took the liberty to actually find out the actual model of the ram kit it came with.

Here's the listing on Newegg. On further inspection, I found out that this specific kit isn't on the QVL for that mobo.

Took the liberty to actually find out the actual model of the ram kit it came with.

Here's the listing on Newegg. On further inspection, I found out that this specific kit isn't on the QVL for that mobo.
OLOy isn't a big brand. Chances are it works just fine (otherwise your retailer wouldn't have this configuration for sale) but something's obviously wrong. You could try that BIOS update, otherwise just call it in. Unlucky so far..

Apr 19, 2022
OLOy isn't a big brand. Chances are it works just fine (otherwise your retailer wouldn't have this configuration for sale) but something's obviously wrong. You could try that BIOS update, otherwise just call it in. Unlucky so far..

It was XMP. Disabled it and it boots normally. Task Manager says that it's running at 2400mhz instead of 3200mhz.

How can I optimize?

I hope updating your BIOS will fix the XMP problem. If not, you'll have to manually enter your RAM settings.. Kinda hard finding the exact right video for your motherboard. At least all the timings you need are on the Newegg page you added earlier. Hard to help with this part right now, I'm sorry.

Apr 19, 2022
I hope updating your BIOS will fix the XMP problem. If not, you'll have to manually enter your RAM settings.. Kinda hard finding the exact right video for your motherboard. At least all the timings you need are on the Newegg page you added earlier. Hard to help with this part right now, I'm sorry.

Wanted to give a quick update- I ended up swapping the OLOY ram for some G.Skill Trident Z RGB. 2x8GB at 3200mhz. XMP works perfectly now. The ram sticks were apparently bad.

Thanks for your input!