Question ASUS Prime H370-A - Recommended CPU upgrades?

denalipop

Commendable
Oct 3, 2018
I have an ASUS Prime H370-A motherboard, which uses the LGA-1151 chipset.

I currently have an Intel i7 8700 CPU (6 core 3.2 GHz), which is fine for most games, but appears to be limiting my performance in the latest Flight Simulator and VR. (My video card is a Geforce RTX 3070 and I'm using 32 GB RAM and a mix of SSD and SATA drives).

I'm considering upgrading to an 8 core CPU, for improved performance in Flight Simulator, VR and other applications.

Which 8 core CPU(s) would you recommend for this motherboard?

I'd like something with good stability, performance, and overall "bang for the buck". I'd also like it to be at least as fast as my current CPU (3.2 GHz) so that single-core performance doesn't decrease. At the same time I don't want to pay for overkill: I'd rather not spend hundreds of dollars on a CPU upgrade only to find out that it's being severely bottlenecked by the motherboard.

Thanks!

i7-8700 (6cores/12threads) is about top cpu for this board.
Upgrade to i7-9700 (8cores/8threads) would make little sense. Performance is pretty much the same.
Only upgrade worth considering would be i9-9900 (8cores/16threads). And even then performance increase doesn't really justify the expenses.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I have an ASUS Prime H370-A motherboard, which uses the LGA-1151 chipset.

I currently have an Intel i7 8700 CPU (6 core 3.2 GHz), which is fine for most games, but appears to be limiting my performance in the latest Flight Simulator and VR. (My video card is a Geforce RTX 3070 and I'm using 32 GB RAM and a mix of SSD and SATA drives).

I'm considering upgrading to an 8 core CPU, for improved performance in Flight Simulator, VR and other applications.

Which 8 core CPU(s) would you recommend for this motherboard?

I'd like something with good stability, performance, and overall "bang for the buck". I'd also like it to be at least as fast as my current CPU (3.2 GHz) so that single-core performance doesn't decrease. At the same time I don't want to pay for overkill: I'd rather not spend hundreds of dollars on a CPU upgrade only to find out that it's being severely bottlenecked by the motherboard.

Thanks!
You never listed the CPU cooler I hope you got a decent one the stock cooler just will not cool that processor under load and limit the performance.

ASK THE COMMUNITY