[SOLVED] Asus Prime X-470 Pro enough for 3800X?

Sep 13, 2019
Hi everyone,

I have been running a Ryzen 2700X on my motherboard Asus Prime X-470 Pro for some time, and am considering upgrading to a new 3800X, but I am wondering if that board would be enough to support this CPU during extended workloads, especially about its VRMs and their cooling...

I know the card can support Ryzen 3000 and the BIOS is already up to date so that won't be a problem, but the opinions I could read on this particular card range from "Yeah all cards go as long as you don't overclock" to "The VRM cooling is non-existant and it won't support anything higher than a non-OC 3600".

Should I give it a try as is, or would it be necessary to upgrade also the motherboard to something more solid? (My rig has a good airflow and the CPU is cooled by the stock Wraith fan, which is good for the VRMs as it is a downblower. I am having decent thermals with my 2700X idle and under load, at stock clock speed or slightly overclocked)

Solution
Hi everyone,

I have been running a Ryzen 2700X on my motherboard Asus Prime X-470 Pro for some time, and am considering upgrading to a new 3800X, but I am wondering if that board would be enough to support this CPU during extended workloads, especially about its VRMs and their cooling...

I know the card can support Ryzen 3000 and the BIOS is already up to date so that won't be a problem, but the opinions I could read on this particular card range from "Yeah all cards go as long as you don't overclock" to "The VRM cooling is non-existant and it won't support anything higher than a non-OC 3600".

Should I give it a try as is, or would it be necessary to upgrade also the motherboard to something more solid? (My rig has a good airflow...
Hi everyone,

Should I give it a try as is, or would it be necessary to upgrade also the motherboard to something more solid? (My rig has a good airflow and the CPU is cooled by the stock Wraith fan, which is good for the VRMs as it is a downblower. I am having decent thermals with my 2700X idle and under load, at stock clock speed or slightly overclocked)
Oh yes, quite enough and more. You could OC 3800x to the max. That stuff about VRM is totally false, people are using R9 3900x/3950x without any problems.
My 3700x OCs to 4.35GHz, 1.4v and VRM temps are maximum at 75c range.

Solution