Asus Prime X470-PRO and 970 EVO 2TB | Unable to install Windows on NVMe Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 2, 2018
i have searched long and hard, i simply can not find the answer here. I cant install windows on the NVMe Drive. i have attempted making windows from the microsoft download, from Rufus, and other sources as a latch ditch effort. all result in the same thing it simply does not work.
with secure boot disabled, other os selected, boot keys cleared, and CSM off the BIOS does not see the drive when rebooted. but if i boot off the UEFI Windows USB drive i can see and select my 970 to install windows on. once the install process finishes (takes only about 3mins) and the computer reboots. and goes right into the BIOS as it does not see a Boot drive. if i turn off secure boot select Windows EFI as my OS oppose to "other os" nothing happens on save. right back into the BIOS it goes. if i turn on CSM the BIOS sees the hard drive and i get an error where it says "reboot and select proper boot device" "or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"
i have attempted to install as MBR and GPT, switching from the two depending on BIOS settings. it's like windows is not creating the EFI boot sector.
i have followed the steps on, http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3473090/install-windows.html
everything is fine until #8 as the BIOS does not see the drive

Hardware: Asus Prime X470-PRO (Attempted with 4018 BIOS then upgraded to latest 4024) | 2700X | 970 EVO 2TB | 32 GB RAM | other shouldn't matter

Oct 2, 2018
i attempted both ports, the "only" drive i have hooked up right now is the 970 EVO, i took out a 500 GB NVMe one from another system and tried that i had the same exact issue. but it worked off my crappy WD M.2 SATA III drive. it's gotta be a setting somewhere i am missing, or ASUS lies about NVMe bootable. only thing i can think of right now.

Not to be pedantic , as I see you have tried various settings, but this procedure often works well. Perhaps a step or 2 will assist.

Create an uptodate USB install media by following the steps outlined here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

Then disconnect or disable all hdd/ssd drives but the one you will install windows to.

Insert the USB media tool, with the windows install files, into the board. Next go to the board setup and ensure the board is configured to use UEFI boot settings. CSM should be enabled. Select UEFI and Legacy for boot device control and Legacy for the other options.

On the motherboard boot device menu, select the command that identifies both the firmware mode and the device. For example, select UEFI: USB Drive, ( Windows Boot Manager will also work), and list that device in the first boot slot on the board.
Reboot. Install begins.

When choosing an installation type, select Custom. On new disks, the drive will show a single area of unallocated space. (If there are partitions, select each one and then "delete").

Select the unallocated space and click Next. Windows detects that the PC was booted into UEFI mode, and formats the drive using the GPT drive format, and begins the installation.

All data on the drive will be lost.

Oct 2, 2018
Installed Ubuntu with BIOS defaults loaded. Ubuntu then created a UEFI Boot sector. started the windows installation and deleted the main partition installing Windows over it. windows then created a boot loader that i could see in the bios i finished installing windows. after all was said and done i went ahead and deleted the 500MB Ubuntu Loader. in total i lost 500MB of space but after days of messing with this. totally worth it.

thank you all for your help!

Reactions: jakob.e.andersen

Interesting... congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies.