[SOLVED] Asus Prime X470-PRO + EVO 970 250GB | Unable to install Windows 10

pat_tical

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
Hello,

I'm attempting to get Windows 10 installed on my EVO 970 250 GB NVMe drive. I can install Ubuntu without issue.

Windows 10 installer is booting from a UEFI USB drive. I can get to the installer but according to Windows it does not detect the NVMe drive.

A media driver your computer needs is missing. This could be a DVD, USB or Hard disk driver. If you have a CD, DVD or USB flash drive with that driver on it, please insert if now.

Oddly enough if I go into support tools, open a command prompt and list disks it shows both the NVMe drive and the bootable USB.

I have cleaned the NVMe and set it to GPT and rebooted but still no luck. The Windows 10 installer does not detect the NVMe and says there are missing drivers. :(

Thanks for taking a look!

Last edited:
Solution
So....the answer was it was a bad burn. Using dd to burn the ISO created the USB in UDF format which UEFI didn't like. Copying the files from the ISO to a FAT32 partition w/MBR also didn't work as it seems all files were corrupt.

On macOS I installed unetbootin and burned the ISO to a USB. It took a long ass time but it completed and now I have Windows installed.
Code:
brew cask install --appdir="/Applications" unetbootin

Thanks everyone for the assistance.

pat_tical

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
Yep, it's detected in the BIOS. There are only two drives connected
  • the USB (UEFI bootable) Windows 10 installer (Win10_1809Oct_v2_English_x64.iso)
  • the EVO 970.

Last edited:

korv

Notable
Dec 26, 2018
Yep, it's detected in the BIOS. There are only two drives connected
  • the USB (UEFI bootable) Windows 10 installer (Win10_1809Oct_v2_English_x64.iso)
  • the EVO 970.

That's good. Could you go start up the boot and click on repair? There should be at bottom right corner. It either will repair the boot or do something else. i'm not sure!

pat_tical

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
Yep it boots into Troubleshoot then I select Advanced Options (the only other option is Turn off your PC) which provides the following

• System Restore
  • Uninstall Updates
  • System Image Recovery
  • Startup Repair
  • UEFI Firmware Settings

pat_tical

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
The ideal situation would be to have the EVO drivers on a separate USB which I can load during the setup. But they only provide an executable and I only have Mac and a Linux machine.

pat_tical

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
FWIW Ubuntu 18.04 detected the NVMe, is installed and running.

I've tried the Windows ISO from April and October of 2018. I also tried the latest Preview build.

I'm not sure why Windows Setup is having such a hard time detecting it.

Last edited:

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
  1. You don't have PCIe x1 or x3 populated, do you? M.2_2 reverts to SATA if you do. (not that it should cause it not to show up, but...)
  2. Have you tired both M.2 sockets?
  3. What Ryzen CPU are you using?
  4. You don't have NVMe RAID mode enabled, do you? (Pg 3-14)

pat_tical

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
I was able to create an ISO from the Windows Media Creation Tool on a VM on my Mac. I copied the ISO over to my Mac and burned a DVD. I get the same error if I try to install via DVD :(

To answer your questions.

1. Yes, the XFX RX580 is in the PCIe x1 slot. Should I move it to x2?
  2. Yes, I've tried both M.2 sockets. Still only Ubuntu installs
  3. Ryzen 5 2600x
  4. Nope, NVMe RAID mode is disabled

pat_tical

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
I got a bit further. I tried a different method for booting creating the USB in macOS. I opened the ISO, select all, copied all the files and pasted them onto the FAT32 partition on the USB.

From the boot menu I select partition 2 of the USB. The installer runs, I enter the Windows key and partition the drive but it fails when copying the files with

windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation

pat_tical

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
So....the answer was it was a bad burn. Using dd to burn the ISO created the USB in UDF format which UEFI didn't like. Copying the files from the ISO to a FAT32 partition w/MBR also didn't work as it seems all files were corrupt.

On macOS I installed unetbootin and burned the ISO to a USB. It took a long ass time but it completed and now I have Windows installed.
Code:
brew cask install --appdir="/Applications" unetbootin

Thanks everyone for the assistance.

Solution