[SOLVED] Asus Prime X470-Pro + NVMe M.2 Kingston A2000 | Unable to Install Windows 10

Jun 18, 2020
Hello all.

I am attempting to use my NVMe SSD (GPT) as the boot drive. Unfortunately, I'm unable to install Windows 10. I've tried a number of different boot configurations and so far have been wildly unsuccessful. This is a upgrade from a old SSD connected via SATA cable (MBR).

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard: Asus X470-PPRO
SSD: Kingston NVMe A2000 M.2 1TB (plugged into M.2_1 socket)
Memory: 16GB (2x 8GB)
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon RX5700

So far I've attempted to: install Windows via USB using Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, and via a USB using Rufus. Additionally, I've tried various recommended boot set-ups with/without CSM enabled, with OS type set to 'Other OS' or 'Windows UEFI Mode' and with/without secure boot keys cleared.

Windows will make it all the way the through the installation process but after the restart it will not boot up windows even if selected as main boot device.

I've searched a number of forums who all give the same instruction:

1- The M.2 drive has to be the only drive installed.

2 - Go into the BIOS, under the boot tab there is an option for CSM, make sure it is disabled.

3 - Click on secure boot option below and make sure it is set to other OS, not Windows UEFI.

4 - Click on key management and clear secure boot keys.

5 - Insert a USB memory stick with a UEFI bootable iso of Windows 10 on it, USB3 is quicker but USB2 works also. A Windows DVD won’t work unless you’ve created your own UEFI Bootable DVD.

6 - Press F10 to save, exit and reboot.

7 - Windows 10 will now start installing to your NVME drive as it has its own NVME driver built in.

8 - When the PC reboots hit F2 to go back into the BIOS, you will see under boot priority that Windows boot manager now lists your NVME drive.

9 - Click on secure boot again but now set it to WIndows UEFI mode. (see #3 above)

10 - Click on key management and install default secure boot keys

11 - Press F10 to save and exit and Windows will finish the install. Once you have Windows up and running, shutdown the PC and reconnect your other SATA drives.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Solution
From about 4:00, you're doing it like this? Make sure usb stick isn't still connected at this point. Pull it out before this phase of installation.

What error are you getting when trying to boot?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Return bios / csm, whichever else settings to default. With just the M2 connected, boot off the usb and start the install process. The first restart after it loads files (it's not long before restart), pull out the usb stick and let it proceed on it's own.

Jun 18, 2020
Return bios / csm, whichever else settings to default. With just the M2 connected, boot off the usb and start the install process. The first restart after it loads files (it's not long before restart), pull out the usb stick and let it proceed on it's own.
Thank you for replying but no, that does not work for me. First try was just like you said with the basic default settings. When that did not work i started searching online and tried every possible search result.

Windows installs but it wont boot from it. If i change my settings to UEFI only, it does not recognize my drive to be present although i used diskpart multiple times to convert the drive to gpt. I have tried installing on gpt and on mbr and although the install goes all the way, it does not boot up.

I am lost, strongly considering in using it at as expansive storage drive, returning is not a option anymore.