Question ASUS PRIME X470-PRO strange memory problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 29, 2020
I have a Asus PRIME X470-PRO with a strange problem. I have two 16GB DDR4 DIMMs. The manual suggests putting them in slots B2 and A2. However, when I do, I never see anything on the monitor: the fans spin up, the lights turn on and there's nothing on the screen.

If I put one DIMM in A2 it will boot and see 16GB.
If I put two DIMMs in A1+A2 it will boot and see 32GB.
If I ever put any DIMMs in B1 or B2 it will not boot to BIOS.

The CPU is "AMD Ryzen 5 3400G with Radeon Vega 11 Graphics".
The memory is "G.SKILL Aegis 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3000 (PC4 2400) Model F4-3000C16D-32GISB"

The timing sticker on the memory says CL16-18-18-38 1.35v.

I have updated the BIOS to v5406.
I have tried setting the memory speed in the BIOS to DDR4-3000Mhz, no change.
I have tried setting the DRAM voltage to 1.35v with no change.

I have returned the motherboard thinking it was defective and got a replacement and it has the exact same behavior.

Presumably I don't want the memory in A1+A2 because it won't be dual channel. Plus, I might someday want to upgrade the ram to use those B slots.

Any suggestions?

Feb 29, 2020
Did you inspect the CPU for bent/missing/broken pins during any of these changes?
I did. I took the cpu out and inspected both the cpu pins and the socket. No problems. And it boots just fine as long as there is no memory in the B channels.

I'm suspecting that it's some specific incompatiblity between this particular memory and this motherboard. Does that make sense? Perhaps there is some advanced bios setting to ameliorate the problem?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
At this point I would see if you can source any manner of DDR4 in a set of two for further testing on different RAM, just to see. Perhaps even try yours in a different build.

As alluded to above this could be an issue related to the CPU itself, or it could be the RAM.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
What speed is the memory set to in your BIOS? If anything higher than 2133, lower to that speed.

That memory should be compatible with your motherboard. As the memory controller is built into the CPU, that was why I asked about pins.

The common denominator here is the CPU (changed motherboards) and since both DIMMs are read, it seems unlikely that they are the issue. But something easily ruled out by swapping memory.

I have a Asus PRIME X470-PRO with a strange problem. I have two 16GB DDR4 DIMMs. The manual suggests putting them in slots B2 and A2. However, when I do, I never see anything on the monitor: the fans spin up, the lights turn on and there's nothing on the screen.

The memory is "G.SKILL Aegis 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3000 (PC4 2400) Model F4-3000C16D-32GISB"

I have returned the motherboard thinking it was defective and got a replacement and it has the exact same behavior.

Presumably I don't want the memory in A1+A2 because it won't be dual channel. Plus, I might someday want to upgrade the ram to use those B slots.

Any suggestions?
Looks like you tried everything but right slots.
Single memory stick should go to B2 slot. 2 sticks to A2 and B2 slots.
It's clearly stated in MB manual. Reset CMOS before inserting RAM in those slots.

Feb 29, 2020
Looks like you tried everything but right slots.
Single memory stick should go to B2 slot. 2 sticks to A2 and B2 slots.
It's clearly stated in MB manual. Reset CMOS before inserting RAM in those slots.
Of course B2+A2 is the first configuration I tried. It doesn't boot. (no video)
As I said above, with any memory in any of the B slots it won't boot. Not with 1 stick in B2, not with one stick in B2 and one in A2 and not with one stick in B2 and one in B1.

Feb 29, 2020
What speed is the memory set to in your BIOS? If anything higher than 2133, lower to that speed.
It was originally set to the default, which I believe is 2133. I subsequently set it to 3000 to see if that would make a difference. I also tried raising the DRAM voltage to 1.35 which is what the memory specifies. Neither mad a difference.
That memory should be compatible with your motherboard. As the memory controller is built into the CPU, that was why I asked about pins.

The common denominator here is the CPU (changed motherboards) and since both DIMMs are read, it seems unlikely that they are the issue. But something easily ruled out by swapping memory.
I am loathe to think that the problem is the CPU. I will probably take your suggestion and buy a different set of RAM and see if that makes a difference. Thank you.

Feb 29, 2020
Just an update: I replaced the RAM with another product on Asus' verified memory list: Corsair Vengance LPX 2x16GB DDR4 3000MHz. I made sure to pick a product with a different brand of RAM chips.

Exact same behavior: Any time a DIMM is in either of the B channel slots it won't boot. Both DIMMs in A1 and A2 boots just fine with 32GB.

So I've replaced the motherboard and the RAM. Unless the problem is the CPU (which seems unlikely because the machine has been stable for a week under Debian) then it just seems like a defect in the motherboard design.

Jun 16, 2019
I am currently dealing with this same issue on a previously owned x470 strix gaming-f with 2600x. Like yours the b1 and b2 beep "no memory detected" on single and double applications on all 10 single and double combinations. Works fine with 2x4 3000mghz in a1 a2. The seller also was having this issue but for 160$ and original receipt how could I pass it up. Asus is little help right now with their call centers closed due to c19.

I am currently dealing with this same issue on a previously owned x470 strix gaming-f with 2600x. Like yours the b1 and b2 beep "no memory detected" on single and double applications on all 10 single and double combinations. Works fine with 2x4 3000mghz in a1 a2. The seller also was having this issue but for 160$ and original receipt how could I pass it up. Asus is little help right now with their call centers closed due to c19.
Memory should go to A2 and B2 slots, only there works in dual channel.

Apr 5, 2020
I have a similar problem in my Z390-F. I have 4x16gb of Corsair Vengeance, A2 + B2 were running 2x16 with not problems for 5 months. Then I added 2 more 2x16 and can't get all 4 to work together. Tried every possible connotation and worked out that each stick works fine and each slot works fine, it just won't run all 4 slots together. No idea what to try next?

Jun 16, 2019
I have a similar problem in my Z390-F. I have 4x16gb of Corsair Vengeance, A2 + B2 were running 2x16 with not problems for 5 months. Then I added 2 more 2x16 and can't get all 4 to work together. Tried every possible connotation and worked out that each stick works fine and each slot works fine, it just won't run all 4 slots together. No idea what to try next?

Apr 5, 2020
Just noticed my original set were Samsung hardware, new ones are Hynix. Same Corsair part number etc. No way for them to play well together?

Jun 16, 2019
Memory should go to A2 and B2 slots, only there works in dual channel.
Thanks, as stated I did try this configuration but whenever b1 or b2 were populated I get long and 2 short beeps indicating no memory detected. I did read the install instructions and your previous comment and attempted again after a cmos clear with b2 and a2, but still "no memory detected." The A dimms do work but I would rather not be in single channel.

Jun 16, 2019
Just noticed my original set were Samsung hardware, new ones are Hynix. Same Corsair part number etc. No way for them to play well together?
There was a potential for them to play together, but it seems that they don't want too. I believe even 2 set of Samsung that are not binned together have the potential to not work together. This is the reason the sets of 4 often cost more than 2 sets of 2. It is possible thay running memtest86 may show an error, but I've not used that program yet. I'll likely try it on my system today to test out my issue.

Feb 29, 2020
It's very good to know I'm not going insane.

Reactions: Crosslhs82x2
Apr 11, 2020
I have the same motherboard and the same problem. I have 4 x 8gb Corsair vengeance pro rgb modules. I bought 2 at first then added 2 more a few months later, same exact models. Xmp kept giving me a boot loop. I checked my ram and 2 are Samsung b die and the other 2 hynix. I set my xmp and then raised dram voltage to 1.375 and it worked. I figured more voltage would be worth a try.

Jun 6, 2020
I have EXACTLY the same behaviour... slot B1 and (or) B2 long beep + 2 short beeps ...no post no boot... my board is an asus rog strix x470 ... any memory in A1 and or A2 no problem ...

Any idea
Thanks

Any suggestions?

Jun 16, 2019
I was unable to solve the problem on my own, and had to RMA it with Asus. It would not start the rma process online so I contacted them through their facebook page to set up the return process. I have it back now and it works fine. They did not tell me what the issue was or how they fixed it.

Jun 25, 2020
I just ran into the exact same problem with Asus Prime X470 Pro. The board wont boot if a single RAM is place in B1 or B2. I got 1 long beep and 2 short beeps. Slot A1 or A2 works fine though. This wont work for me cuz I got two DIMMS and would like to use dual channel. BIOS is updated to the latest version already. Is there a solution? Any hints please?

Status
Not open for further replies.