[SOLVED] ASUS PRIME X470 Pro upgrades

wogfor

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2016
Currently running an AMD 2600X on this Mobo. According to the ASUS website, BIOS version 5854 says "Support Windows 11 by default, no settings changes required in the UEFI BIOS " One of the previous versions mentions support for 3000 series CPU's (no 5000 series it seems!) and another supports 3000 series GPU's. (As if I could really get my hands on one!:()

If forced to upgrade to Windows 11, am I going to have to buy a TPM module (yes, the board does have a header) AND update the BIOS as well?

Current BIOS I believe is 4804

Solution
Currently running an AMD 2600X on this Mobo. According to the ASUS website, BIOS version 5854 says "Support Windows 11 by default, no settings changes required in the UEFI BIOS " One of the previous versions mentions support for 3000 series CPU's (no 5000 series it seems!) and another supports 3000 series GPU's. (As if I could really get my hands on one!:()

If forced to upgrade to Windows 11, am I going to have to buy a TPM module (yes, the board does have a header) AND update the BIOS as well?

X470 series supports 5000 series on the latest bios, and youu dont need TPM module to use windows 11, i belive in your bios settings there is an option to use fTPM on cpu, and enable that. then install...

X470 series supports 5000 series on the latest bios, and youu dont need TPM module to use windows 11, i belive in your bios settings there is an option to use fTPM on cpu, and enable that. then install secure boot keys/restore factory keys, and set the secure boot to standard. there you go, windows 11 compatible.

By updating your bios to the latest, you dont need to set anything to get windows 11 compatible. just pure update and bam, win 11 compatible.

Also if you want to upgrade the cpu dont forget to uninstall all the processor on device manager like this:
unknown.png

Just click on no when it asks for restart, uninstall all of them (should be 12 in yours), but disconnect from internet first before doing so, after you uninstall all, shut down, change cpu, then boot to bios, and load optimized/default and set xmp. and then see the amd fTPM option and enable it if it's disabled, then enable standard secure boot if the keys not installed yet then install it. save and exit and boot to windows. and install the latest amd chipset driver.

I already did windows 11 clean install on my friends Ryzen 5 3600 + B550M Gaming.

Last edited:
Solution

Update BIOS to last one, (5861), it's excelent with full support for Windows 10/11 also Ryzen 5000. Running W11 right now on my machine.
It also has better memory handling.
If you have W10 installed in UEFI mode, you don't have to do anytting to it. UEFI mode with BOOT disk in GPT enables everything needed for W11. Also make sure to install latest chipset drivers from AMD site before updating BIOS.

Last edited:

wogfor

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2016
The 2600X was a bargain when I picked it up - it was literally a week or two before the release of the 3000 series. Micro Center was sitting on a pile of the 2600X's and unloading them for $79! I could not make it down there for a few days and by the time I got there, the price had gone up to $99! Still and unbeatable price for a $229 processor!
Sadly, an upgrade at this time is out of my budget!

The 2600X was a bargain when I picked it up - it was literally a week or two before the release of the 3000 series. Micro Center was sitting on a pile of the 2600X's and unloading them for $79! I could not make it down there for a few days and by the time I got there, the price had gone up to $99! Still and unbeatable price for a $229 processor!
Sadly, an upgrade at this time is out of my budget!
yup, just consider to upgrade if you feel the need more!