Question Asus Prime X570-P or MSI Tomahawk Max B450

KoolerThanJesus

Reputable
Jan 6, 2020
So Im building a random rig because Im bored. Ended up ordering some nice stuff up for her but Im torn between what board I should go with. Im not an overclocker of any kind so I dont need some crazy mobo, but on the other hand I wanted something that I wouldnt have to upgrade in 2 years... Would I benefit from PCIe4 with a 5700 since I will be upgrading to one soon?! Do I really need x570? What board yall think fits the rig for a non-overclocker
Asus Prime X570-P or MSI Tomahawk Max?!?!
Ryzen 3700X
Corsair vengeance 2x8g 3600
Mugen 5
Sapphire RX 590 Nitro+ 8g
Corsair RM750X
Samsung evo 860 1 TB SSD

Last edited:
The x570 is a bit ahead of the curve with PCIe 4.0 but it will be ready for the 4000 series Ryzen before the next socket change. Will the the older Tomahawk support the next gen of Ryzen's?

The x570 PCIe 4.0 does not provide a benefit at this point in time for any graphics card. But, Nvidia is stating thier next gen gpu's are rumored to have a 50% performance increase. Will we need the PCIe 4.0 in the near future...that's the question.

There are a few x570 choices in the $200 price range.

I chose the x570 route as I wanted to build the most capable and up to date system available. It has an upgrade path with the Ryzen 4000's. The M2 drives are crazy fast, everything loads so rapidly it's amazing.

There is no wrong choice. Often the older boards are used with Ryzen 3000's due to the cost savings and features you can get when compared to the x570.

The older boards are the better value at this time. But will it be the right choice looking back two or three years from now?

Reactions: KoolerThanJesus

KoolerThanJesus

Reputable
Jan 6, 2020
The x570 is a bit ahead of the curve with PCIe 4.0 but it will be ready for the 4000 series Ryzen before the next socket change. Will the the older Tomahawk support the next gen of Ryzen's?

The x570 PCIe 4.0 does not provide a benefit at this point in time for any graphics card. But, Nvidia is stating thier next gen gpu's are rumored to have a 50% performance increase. Will we need the PCIe 4.0 in the near future...that's the question.

There are a few x570 choices in the $200 price range.

I chose the x570 route as I wanted to build the most capable and up to date system available. It has an upgrade path with the Ryzen 4000's. The M2 drives are crazy fast, everything loads so rapidly it's amazing.

There is no wrong choice. Often the older boards are used with Ryzen 3000's due to the cost savings and features you can get when compared to the x570.

The older boards are the better value at this time. But will it be the right choice looking back two or three years from now?
Thank you for your reply. Did some research & I decided to go with the Tomahawk max. I dont think I'll be needing anything new for a long while after I receive my 5700XT which is on its way. If they stop updating B450 in a couple years , whatever. With an 8 core and my card I think Im pretty "Future Proof" ....as they say I guess. Thanks

Last edited: