Question Asus Prime X570-P won't boot OS

Apr 6, 2021
The pc was being used as normal, no known changes to hardware config, blue screened (with emoji) and crashed. Upon reboot was prompted to insert bootable drive. Can access bios via F2, removed all HDD except SSD with win10, still no joy.
SSD installed into another computer and boots just fine, ran chkdsk and checked S.M.A.R.T status, all is ok, looking in event log for system and there were many disk errors. SSD behaves as expected in the other computer.
Tried to boot pc (mobo X570-P) using USB bootable windows drive, bios can see it but it won't boot to it. Tried an SSD with same OS from working computer, same result bios can see drive but does not boot to it.
If I turn off CMS then bios can't see any of the bootable drives.
Attempted to flash bios to latest version , using fat32 formatted usb, file is in root, but pc freezes and reboots on reading file. No option in bios to flash from internet, only from storage device.

Any ideas on what is going on or what I should try next.
Thanks in advance
Al

Apr 6, 2021
The machine has never been overclocked, everything left as standard and was built in January, never crashed since being built. It is my sons pc, he is 13 and does not know anything about overclocking etc, he turns it on games, watches YouTube and turns it off again.

Specs:
mobo: Asus Prime X570-P
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
Ram: Corsair dominator platinum RGB 32GB (2x16) DDR4 3200MHz
GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX590 8GB GDDR5
SSD: PNY 240GH (CS900 SSD) 2.5 sata-6GB/s
PSU: Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 750W 80 PLUS Gold Modular Power Supply - Black

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Try to manually reset the motherboard BIOS (use motherboard jumper or remove battery method), then try updating the BIOS.

You mentioned HDDs earlier, but didn't list in the specs. Do you have more than one storage device connected to this system?

If you have been inside the case, while troubleshooting, verify that both the data and power connectors are firmly connected to the SSD (and motherboard and PSU as applicable).

Apr 6, 2021
Ok, so things I have already tried:
Changed sata cables,
Plugged SSD into a different port ( it was originally in the 1st, and is now back in the 1st as changing made no difference)
Removed battery for 10 mins plus jumper pins to clear
used 2 different USB drives to update bios, first one would not read, second one gets freezes when reading, also tried different UBS ports. Also tried using smaller jumps in bios update files, eg 3603 and 3001, current bios is 2606.

HDD are western digital blue and black 250GB and 1TB respectively, pretty old standard HHD's.

I currently have the 2 HDDs unplugged.
All cables are seated and have power

Apr 6, 2021
Also, cms in enabled otherwise it won't see the SSD or the bootable flash drive (which has win 10 on it, I used this same USB when I originally installed windows back in Jan).

Apr 6, 2021
I was afraid that was what it may be.

The fact that nothing in the system was changed before the crash made me originally think either hardware failure or a windows update issue regarding drivers maybe.

Just tried with all SSD and HDD unplugged, but then I don't get a display and mouse/keyboard dont light up, everything inside the case lights up tho.

Apr 6, 2021
Always run my PC's through surge protectors.

If I don't plug the HDD/SSD into certain sata ports then it either gives me no display or freezes at the f2 screen. As long as SSD is in the primary slot I can access the bios but can't get any further.