EaglePerception

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2013
Finally got a 5900x in the mail today and was so excited to put this machine together.

MOBO ASUS Prime X570 Pro
AMD Ryzen 5900x
RTX 2080ti (From old system)
64 GB Ripjaws V Ram (From old system)
Corsair RM 850x PSU
Kraken Z63 CPU cooler.

When trying to boot up I get stuck on the splash screen that says press Delete or F2 to enter bios and can't get any further.

Motherboard qled lights for dram and boot are on. Dram is orange, boot is green.

Troubleshooting I've tried so far.

The ram I am using worked 3 hours ago from the build I took it out of. Sticks were made in March of this year.
Boot with only 1 stick of ram. No luck.
Boot with 2 sticks of ram. No luck.
Boot with a single stick of ram in each slot. No luck.
Boot with no drives installed. No luck.
Removed battery for 5 mins and re-installed. No luck.
Reseated all power cables. No luck.
Tried old 8GB sticks of ram I had lying around for a build back in 2015. No luck.
Tried multiple keyboards. Don't have a PS2 so I didn't try one of them.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

EaglePerception

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2013
I know this is not your board but there is a CLRTC it is not as simple as removing the battery on the new boards have a look in your manual.
https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1040820
Tried doing the short circuit method both ways to no avail. I would think I would be able to get into the bios even if this is a newer chip right? Cause if I can't then I definitely can't update the bios I would think.

But since I cannot get into the bios I wouldn't be able to flash the board would I?
Tried doing the short circuit method both ways to no avail. I would think I would be able to get into the bios even if this is a newer chip right? Cause if I can't then I definitely can't update the bios I would think.
If that board doesn't offer a BIOS flash feature you will need a supported CPU in order to flash the current version.

Reactions: EaglePerception
Well I'll be damned. You were 100% right. It needed a bios update to use the new processor. That's a rather frustrating thing for new builders who are switching from Intel to AMD and don't have an extra processor lying around. But it does work perfectly after that update.
Awesome!

AMD does/did offer a CPU upgrade program where they'd send you a CPU to update the BIOS and you'd have to send it back when finished.

Last edited:
Reactions: EaglePerception
Dec 13, 2020
Well I'll be damned. You were 100% right. It needed a bios update to use the new processor. That's a rather frustrating thing for new builders who are switching from Intel to AMD and don't have an extra processor lying around. But it does work perfectly after that update.

I'm having more or less the exact same issues as you. Glad to hear you got it working.

Was just wondering the steps you took to update your BIOS for your 5900x. It's been six years since I've made a computer, and I've never flashed a BIOS using an older processor before.

Seeing if I can get my hands on a 3000-series AMD, I was wondering if you just plug it in and it does it automatically, or if I gotta start a process or something. Any walkthroughs you can link? I wanted to prepare as much as I can before I start up the process again.

EDIT: Also, does it have to be a 3000-series? Or can I use a 2000-series?

MOBO ASUS Prime X570 Pro
AMD Ryzen 5800X (upgraded to 5950x when it comes in)
RTX 3090 FE
32 GB Ripjaws V Ram (DDR4, 2 x 16GB, 3600mhz)
be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W PSU
EVGA CLC 280 113.5 CFM Liquid Cooler

Last edited: