Question Asus Prime x570-Pro good enough for Ryzen 5950x?

BrainGlue

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
Will the Asus Prime x570-Pro motherboard be good enough to handle the Ryzen 5950x? I am planning to use up to the max boost clock of 4.9 Ghz most of the time and this motherboard has 12+2 VRM. Not sure what the VRMs mean exactly, but I heard the higher the number the better it can handle higher clock speeds.

The other motherboard I am considering is the Asus ROG Strix x570-E which has 14+2 VRM seems better on paper, but this motherboard is advertised for gamers and I am planning to use this purely for workstation purposes.

Lutfij

Titan
I'd get the Strix board out of those two merely due to the Strix being ranked a little higher in build quality than the Prime which is often the entry level, do it all board. ROG's tend to have better components onboard. You sure you can't go towards the Crosshair series? They are higher in tier and in price as well but higher in reliability. Speaking of reliability, what sort of brands do you have access to for a board purchase? Where are you located and how much are you allocating to a motherboard purchase?

Reactions: alexbirdie

BrainGlue

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
I'd get the Strix board out of those two merely due to the Strix being ranked a little higher in build quality than the Prime which is often the entry level, do it all board. ROG's tend to have better components onboard. You sure you can't go towards the Crosshair series? They are higher in tier and in price as well but higher in reliability. Speaking of reliability, what sort of brands do you have access to for a board purchase? Where are you located and how much are you allocating to a motherboard purchase?

Thank you! In that case, the Strix or Crosshair may not be a bad idea. I have always used ASUS in the past so I typically would maybe like to stick to those since I'm the most familiar with them. I've used Prime boards in some of my previous intel builds and I had no issues. I never really tried the ROG boards since I thought it's kind of weird to have a workstation that says "gamer this" and "gamer that" all over it in RGB lol, though not a deal breaker. I also heard good things about Gigabyte, Asus, and Asrock, though I tried a Gigabyte board before but not a fan of it's fan control / RGB software.

As far as budget, I think anything below $500 is reasonable. Another board I am considering is the new Asus ProArt B550 Creator mostly because of it's built-in Thunderbolt 4 ports in the I/O. I have no immediate need for Thunderbolt ports, but I might in the near future. However, I heard things on the internet about B550 motherboards being inferior to their X570 counterparts (not exactly sure if this is true).

Overall, I am looking for a board that will be able to handle the 16-core processor at up to 4.9 Ghz. I am not planning to run the CPU at base clocks and will want to have them clocked at higher speed (within the max boost clock range as listed on AMD's site)

TRENDING THREADS