Asus Prime z270-AR - No boot, no display, no power - help

Sep 19, 2018
Hi, I have been running my PC build for more than a year now and this morning when I tried to turn on the computer everything lights up as usual but no display.

1. I restarted the computer - nothing

2. I changed cables Display Port to HDMI to DVI from the graphics card - still no display

3. Changed screens with changing cables nothing. Both monitors can still run via my laptop.

4. Took out RAM from 4 sticks to 2x to 1x with different variations. The Mobo light still lights green and CPU cooler still run even without and RAM inside.

5. Inspected all PSU cables still looks good, checked theyre all pressed in properly and no damage was seen.

6. Took out graphics card and run from the HDMI port nothing with 1x RAM

7. Unplugged GPU, HDD, RAM and tried to turn on but still same result

8. Tried to clear Cmos using the guide from Asus website nothing. Tried to clear cmos without battery. Still no difference.

9. Unplugged everything besides the CPU + Cooler and theres no damage to pins and I am unsure if there has been an electrical short overnight but I cant imagine the source.

10. I turned off the computer and whilst off I pressed the power button on case for about 1min and then plugged everything in and still nothing. I tried the same thing whilst pressing the power button on the mobo and still nothing.

The computer has been used daily for about 1 year now with only the GPU 1 month old. The last use was playing a game and playing with the Mem Clock speed but the computer ran normally for a couple hours during the game. And then I turned it off like normal. I did not move it nor did I change anything.

Notes;
When I say nothing I mean same result, mobo RGB lights up, PSU RGB lights up, Cosair logo lights up on cpu cooler, fans on cpu cooler spin up. No display, No power to USBs

My shutdown process between each trail is; press the power button on mobo until it shuts off, switch off the PSU then unplug, then mobo rgb lights turn off, wait 2-5mins until mobo RGB turns on again(I don’t know why) then when it turns off I unplug the PSU power cord.

Wired mouse does not glow.

Monitor light displays stand by mode.

Speakers are plugged into the green 3.5mm Aux on the rear.

My speakers hum the same as when the computer isn’t on.

Build;
i7-7700k
Asus Prime z270-AR
Vengeance DDR4 8Gb 4x
H110i v2
GTX1080 Zotac Mini
960 EVO M.2 SSD
Thermaltake Toughpower grand RGB 750w
WD Green 1Tb HDD
No case fans

With wired mouse and wireless keyboard.

Solution
If you oc the GPU, that caused the GPU runs unstable, or either cpu or GPU is overheat, or the PSU can not handle the power draws from your PC, the PC will shut down, and reboot, because the MB try to protect itself.

But you removed the gpu, RAM, boot device, and boot the PC, it does nothing. That means either the cpu or MB has problem. And if you did oc the CPU too, you are better to test the CPU to see it works fine or not.
Use onboard iGPU, one stick RAM only, the M2 SSD, disconnect the 1TB HDD, clear the CMOS by the jumper. After that boot up the PC, and check the MB POST state leds to see which on is light up. You can see more info about the POST state leds from manual page 1-13. https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-Z270-AR/HelpDesk_Manual/

Sep 19, 2018
Yes, I tried the PSU on my brother computer and it boots fine and all things running. I have a feeling it is a dead motherboard.

I might add that I had this problem twice before and after at least 12 hours leaving it unplugged it worked as normal it would boot and posts. This time it wouldn't work.

The last thing I did on my computer was OC my GPU on clock speed +175 which i have ran 3-4 hours for a 2-3 days.

I recently started using CAM for monitoring my temps but my game Destiny 2 doesn't support in-game overlays so I have continuously flick and forth so I can keep a good eye on temps. However when it shuts down I felt my radiator and gpu backplate and they were cold and warm like cheeseburger from mcdonald's warm respectively.

1. Is there a relation between GPU clock speeds and some sort of motherboard protection system?

2. Is there some way to check if I tripped a safety mechanism? I assumed on the last few times I triggered something time based?

My feeling is that I tripped something that safety mechanism, not sure how.

If you oc the GPU, that caused the GPU runs unstable, or either cpu or GPU is overheat, or the PSU can not handle the power draws from your PC, the PC will shut down, and reboot, because the MB try to protect itself.

But you removed the gpu, RAM, boot device, and boot the PC, it does nothing. That means either the cpu or MB has problem. And if you did oc the CPU too, you are better to test the CPU to see it works fine or not.

Solution