Question Asus Prime Z370-A II DRAM issues

Jun 11, 2019
MB: Asus Prime Z370-A II
CPU: Intel i7-8700K
RAM (currently): CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB)
GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB

Issue:
I am currently trying to add 2 more sticks of RAM (the same as above) to my system but I can not get 4 sticks to work at a time. Ive interchanged all 4 equally, using only 2 sticks, and they've worked every time. I do have XMP enabled and I have the voltage set to 1.35v.

This is a known problem with not buying ram in sets, even if they are notionally the same they may not work together.

You may need to slow them down a little, either on speed or timings, this could be a lot of time and effort, if you are still within the returns window consider returning the new set, selling the old set, and getting a 2x16GB pack, or a 4x8GB pack (I'd go with the former personally)

Memory is guaranteed in the form sold. XMP profiles are also for memory in the form sold. Other combinations you decide to make, including exact match, same thing, identical, have no guarantee to be compatible together.

Workarounds to get such combinations to work include lowering memory clock speed, relaxing DRAM timings, and increasing DRAM voltage.