ASUS Prime Z370-A II Motherboard?

4lch3m15t

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015
So I'm building a new PC and the motherboard that I wanted was the ASUS Prime Z370-A Motherboard. Now, I'm buying parts in Australia, and this product is sold out everywhere. I found out that there is another that is very similar, the ASUS Prime Z370-A II Motherboard. The names are almost identical, but I assume the 2nd is the newer (better???) Version.

My question here is what are the main difference between these that might not show up in the specs. Is there a difference in performance that might lead me to not wanting to buy the ASUS Prime Z370-A II Motherboard? I read through and they seem almost the same, but I'm new to this and very hesitant to bite the bullet and just hit that buy button.

Any help is appreciated. I genuinely can't find any reviews for the ASUS Prime Z370-A II Motherboard (all of the are for my original choice)

Solution
Asus don't seem to release revision updates to many of their boards, they just release a new model instead. So which is better would depend if you had plans to use integrated GPU or not. They both released this year so driver support should be about the same, they probably even get the same bios updates.

Is the price the same? I don't think you would be disappointed with either of them, as they almost identical. One is just a newer version of the other one. BY a few months...
There are only very minor, and probably unimportant to you, differences. Some minor added features for using the integrated graphics if you're not using a discreet GPU card ( InTru™ 3D, Quick Sync Video, Clear Video HD Technology, Insider™) and some rather uninteresting changes to the supported speeds in the two x16 PCI slots and that's about it.

Comparison is here. There is nothing of major difference between the two.

https://www.asus.com/us/Product-Compare/?products=PW1qjn3qcD5tNKcT,DnCPe7up1ENF0Fq9&b=0

Colif

Win 11 Master
curious you can only find the ASUS Prime Z370-A on the Asus web site (in Australia). It must be fairly new and probably a revision of the 1st board.

All the ports on-board and in the rear IO are identical. However, it appears that this new revision actually has less features than the original Prime Z370 motherboard. The 3D mount screw ports are gone, and the EZ XMP switch feature is gone as well.

Aesthetically, the heatsinks and IO covers are also simpler looking. ASUS also separated the M.2 heat shield from the single-piece chipset heatsink design of the original. Otherwise, the layout remains the same.

https://www.eteknix.com/three-revised-z370-motherboards-show-up-on-asus-website/

no actual reviews to say if it did lose features or not

4lch3m15t

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015

So which one would be considered "better"?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Asus don't seem to release revision updates to many of their boards, they just release a new model instead. So which is better would depend if you had plans to use integrated GPU or not. They both released this year so driver support should be about the same, they probably even get the same bios updates.

Is the price the same? I don't think you would be disappointed with either of them, as they almost identical. One is just a newer version of the other one. BY a few months...

Solution

4lch3m15t

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015

$30 difference, so it's not too bad.

Thank you all for your answers. I think I'm just going to go ahead and get it. Building a beast of a PC

Feb 13, 2019
There is actually a difference, a major one. I talked with a consultant from Asus and he explained me the VRM differs from the Prime A version. To explain what he said:

The Asus Prime A II has DR MOS. The VRM utilizes the power stages of DR MOS that combine high-side and low-side MOFSETs and drivers into a single package, delivering the power and effenciency Intel's latest CPUs, the 9th gen CPUs, demand. In short, the Asus Prime A II offers better stabillty for 9th gen CPUs during load transitions than the Asus Prime A. He also said, aslong as you dont modify the hardware or change the voltages, you will be good to go with a 9th gen CPU on a Asus Prime A, although the Prime A II offers better stabillity.

In my country both mainboards cost arround 180 euros, so you can either take the Prime A or Prime A II.