Question ASUS Prime Z370-A II vs z390 temperatures paired with 9900k (Are 390 VRM improvements noticiable?)

HexDump

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
Hi,

I would like to buy an ASUS Prime Z370-A II to build a pc (yes it should be a z370 not a390 if possible) . But, I have been reading a lot of information about 390 chipsets and being very similar to the z370 there's something that annoys me. z390 Chipset states that has a more performant VRM configuration targeted to gen 9 cpus and this leads me to think that temperatures for a 9900k will be better in a z390 than z370

On the other hand I have been checking ASUS Prime z370-A II website and seems that this board was released around 2018/08/31 (At least tis first bios) that is a date where some other z390 motherboards were released. Moreover, it has support for USB 3.1 gen 2 that seems that is something that was an improvement of the z390 chipset over the z370. Pretty weird.

So, my question is. This board seems more like an upgraded version of Asus Prime z370-A but adding functionalities of the z390. Do anybody know if the VRM improvemts have been transfered to this board too? Would I have good temps with this Motherboard using it with a 9900k?

As you can see I'm really concerned about 9900k temperatures because I have seem some reviews about z370 and z390 temperatures and seem to be really noticiable.

Cheers.

The 9900K will need a motherboard with a very good VRM setup. The higher end Z370 boards can with a BIOS update handle the 9900K but only the high end Z370 boards that have a very good VRM setup for power delivery.

Personally if I were you, I would stick to the Z390 and make sure it is one with a good VRM as you are buying just about the best gaming CPU on the market with an out of the box 5GHz speed. The ASUS Prime Z370 will work though I would err on the side of the updated Z390 motherboards with the better power delivery and VRM's. The best value to performance with a great power delver and VRM setup is the Gigabyte Aorus Elite or Pro and both at a fairly good price starting at $169 for the Elite and $189 for the Pro.

Review of the best Z390 boards and it is an eye opener!
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LQacSdJt7c

HexDump

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
The 9900K will need a motherboard with a very good VRM setup. The higher end Z370 boards can with a BIOS update handle the 9900K but only the high end Z370 boards that have a very good VRM setup for power delivery.

Personally if I were you, I would stick to the Z390 and make sure it is one with a good VRM as you are buying just about the best gaming CPU on the market with an out of the box 5GHz speed. The ASUS Prime Z370 will work though I would err on the side of the updated Z390 motherboards with the better power delivery and VRM's. The best value to performance with a great power delver and VRM setup is the Gigabyte Aorus Elite or Pro and both at a fairly good price starting at $169 for the Elite and $189 for the Pro.

Review of the best Z390 boards and it is an eye opener!
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LQacSdJt7c
Thanks for the answer.

Sorry to be so picky about the z370 chipset but, if I move to gigabyte z370 chipset that also has upgrades to their bios will I stay the same? I mean good micro with poor vrms?

Cheers!

I think only the Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 has a solid enough VRM with a true 8 phase. I currently use that board for my 8700K and eventually will rock a 9900K in this mobo sometime in the future....! The BIOS is more than fine and I have had no issues with overclocks at low vcores for my 8700K and with rock steady VRM temps even when overclocked to 5GHz so I am hopeful (wishing and praying...and you do not need to be in this place) it will be able to manage the 9900K.

Still as you are buying new, I would still go Z390 just to avoid any issues that might arr rise from things like power delivery and VRM's especially if you are overclocking as that is probably where the issues will arise....with failed overclocks, high CPU temps, high VRM temps and the instabilities that these things may cause.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS