Asus Prime Z390-A False Start With Updated BIOS

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JasenSensation

Reputable
Mar 20, 2014
Hey guys,

I recently built a new PC with an Asus Prime Z390-a and I have been getting a false start but only with certain BIOS versions and only after I unplug my system. The false start will not happen if I leave the system plugged in after a shutdown. I have tried changing power supplies, booting bare minimum (CPU, RAM, PSU) and there is nothing I can do to fix it other than revert to an old BIOS. There have been 4 BIOS versions in total for this board, 0224(first), 0402(release), 0506 and 0602(latest). The false start only occurs when either BIOS 0506 or 0602 are installed. Asus support hasn't been helpful, and it's been 48 hours since their last response. So I figured I'd come here to get some input from you guys to see if I should just RMA right away, or if this is a BIOS fault then I'd stick to an old one for now and wait until they release a newer one.

My system specs are:
Asus Z390-a
Intel i7 8700k
G.Skill TridentZ 4*8GB 3200MHz
EVGA Supernova G3 850w
EVGA GTX 1080 ti SC2 Elite
Samsung EVO 970 250GB m.2
Samsung EVO 860 1TB m.2
Phanteks Enthoo Pro M SE

Jan 11, 2019
Can someone confirm that when turning ErP Ready to Enabled (S4+S5) under Advanced/APM Configuration, the computer double boots every time you turn it on, even if you don't disconnect the power cord. Restore AC Power Loss is set to Power off and all other APM settings are disabled.

This is my biggest problem since I need to turn on ErP to turn off the Aura lights

I tried the new 0802 bios, but it didn't make a difference

Jan 11, 2019
I got word back from Asus. They say that they could duplicate the problem with the PC double booting every time when ErP is set to enable (S4 + S5) and that RD is under analysis.

JasenSensation

Reputable
Mar 20, 2014
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to give an update on my situation. I have still been in contact with Asus and they said they are still working on an update to fix the double boot issue.

I was able to get my hands on an ROG Strix Z390-E and can confirm that that board also has the same issue that the Prime Z390-A has using my G.Skill F4-3200C16Q-32GTZR RAM. They both seem to work just fine, but double boot only when power has been disconnected.

I'd say just continue using your boards and don't worry about it at the moment. They'll hopefully provide us with an update soon to fix it.

Thanks a bunch for everyone's input.
If an update comes out I'll be sure to post back on here if it gets fixed.

Jan 28, 2019
Same issue here. Built a new PC yesterday using Z390-A, i7 9700 + 2 * 16GB 3200 Corsair. Updated to latest BIOS. I get a false start if I have removed the power from the PSU. Not much of an issue for me though since I leave it plugged in all the time... A relief to see that it's a known issue though. Was worried about a faulty component or short circuits etc! Could still be that, but sounds like it's a BIOS issue! Will watch this thread with interest!
Cheers
Will.

Jan 11, 2019
Asus send me a beta BIOS that fixed the problem. With the new BIOS I don't get any double booting when Erp S5 or S4 +S5 is enabled. I also don't get any double booting when starting the computer after disconnecting the power cord.

litwicki23

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Hello. I updated to the newest bios and my system boot twice after cold start ( after been plugged from the wall ) .:)

So beta bios fixing this? CPU IS WITH ENABLED MCE , XMP ON. He booting twice only after power being off. :)
Not any warnings etc,just when i push button , he turning on,then off and automatically boots on second time to windows,normally...

BIOS 0702

9900K 5ghz MCE ON
ASUS PRIME Z390-A
RTX 2080 Ti AORUS

Jan 11, 2019

Yes, the beta BIOS fixed this for me. Hope they will release a new official BIOS soon.

Jan 28, 2019
Looks like there is a new version out today. I will give it a try later!

Version 0805
2019/02/01
8.19 MBytes
PRIME Z390-A BIOS 0805
01. Improved DRAM stability
02. Supported JEDEC standard DDR4 32GB memory
03. Updated RST driver
04. Update ME FW
05. Improve system performance
06. Improved DRAM stability

Reactions: JasenSensation
Feb 1, 2019
Hey I’ve been having a similar problem I just built it and every time everything will light up and work but no display I’ve changed coolers and nothing works

My specs are

i7 8800k
1080 gtx
Z390-A MB
16 GB ram
Cooler master evo

Jan 28, 2019

sweet! mine is working ok now too! :)

JasenSensation

Reputable
Mar 20, 2014
Yes, BIOS version 0805 fixed the issue! I updated a week or so ago and can confirm there are no longer any issues with the Strix Z390-E. From the looks of it the Prime Z390-A is also fixed with this update.

Mar 10, 2019
Hey people, I just created an account to say I have the same issue with the ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming, I didn't think it's a problem until I stumbled upon this thread. I usually leave my PC plugged in and I don't turn off the PSU.
I have the "G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB Kit DDR4 3200MHz RAM F4-3200C16D-16GTZR". Can someone confirm they have the same issue with other ram models?
I tried with XMB on and off, I'll try using a single RAM in A2 and see how that goes.. :/
There's also a bios in beta, v0802, might give that a try.

I have the z390-h with the gskill trident z 16 rgb ddr4 3200 and have the same issue. sometimes during boot it go 10+ times on and off. eventually it will go to bios as it detects something is wrong from all the restarts. xmp on or off. manually entered ram voltage, even tried slightly raising ram voltage. bios 2012

Mar 10, 2019
Hi all,

I just registered to let you guys know that you're not alone. I also have a Prime z390-a mobo. And although I know quit a lot of how pc's work, I just spend a whole week trying everything I could to get sleep-mode working correctly. PC does go to sleep, but does not wake up. But to no avail. I tried all kinds of stuff in bios and windows. with oc, without oc and even underclocking stuff. But I must admit, I only tried BIOS 0602.
Only thing I will try is messing more with the XMP settings, cus I heard this is not always well implemented yet.
Personnally I find the voltages on the mobo ( with AI tweaker or just on auto) are too high in general.
But somehow, I have a feeling that the voltages are sometime too low during booting.
Especially for the RAM. I have DDR4 3200.
I do not have the double boot problems but am following up this thread with much interest.

Just a personal opinion. I don't think its wise to unplug your pc all the time. Don't know why you do it, but I just dont think PC's/PSU's are made for it.

mine does not always wake either. really annoying. press the space bar and my fans turns on as well as leds on video card. hdd light comes on and off as normal . keyboard doesn't light up and monitors wont turn on. if I turn them on manually they get no signal. ive tried multiple power options in bios and nothing seems to correct this.

Mar 23, 2019
Asus send me a beta BIOS that fixed the problem. With the new BIOS I don't get any double booting when Erp S5 or S4 +S5 is enabled. I also don't get any double booting when starting the computer after disconnecting the power cord.

Who did you contact at Asus to get help? I have Z390 Maximus XI Hero and Z390i Strix that does the same thing even on latest BIOS.

Jun 18, 2019
So did this issue ever get resolved? I was thinking of getting the ASUS PRIME Z390-A, but not if it still has this issue.

Also on a related note - can someone please explain if this BIOS has the stealth mode BIOS option like the ROG BIOS's have? From a few posts about it sounds like it.

I do not want any of the RGB lighting on the motherboard. I just want a dark case inside with no light leakage. So if I turn on stealth mode in the BIOS, will all these RGB lights remain off at all times, including during boot up and when asleep? IOW it doesn't boot up with the lights on and then go out etc? Thanks!

Mar 10, 2019
So did this issue ever get resolved? I was thinking of getting the ASUS PRIME Z390-A, but not if it still has this issue.

Also on a related note - can someone please explain if this BIOS has the stealth mode BIOS option like the ROG BIOS's have? From a few posts about it sounds like it.

I do not want any of the RGB lighting on the motherboard. I just want a dark case inside with no light leakage. So if I turn on stealth mode in the BIOS, will all these RGB lights remain off at all times, including during boot up and when asleep? IOW it doesn't boot up with the lights on and then go out etc? Thanks!

I reflashed my bios and set factory options and this worked. It was the same version of the bios so I assume my bios either got corrupted or I had a setting it didn't like

jhester21

Commendable
Jan 10, 2018
Hey guys,

I recently built a new PC with an Asus Prime Z390-a and I have been getting a false start but only with certain BIOS versions and only after I unplug my system. The false start will not happen if I leave the system plugged in after a shutdown. I have tried changing power supplies, booting bare minimum (CPU, RAM, PSU) and there is nothing I can do to fix it other than revert to an old BIOS. There have been 4 BIOS versions in total for this board, 0224(first), 0402(release), 0506 and 0602(latest). The false start only occurs when either BIOS 0506 or 0602 are installed. Asus support hasn't been helpful, and it's been 48 hours since their last response. So I figured I'd come here to get some input from you guys to see if I should just RMA right away, or if this is a BIOS fault then I'd stick to an old one for now and wait until they release a newer one.

My system specs are:
Asus Z390-a
Intel i7 8700k
G.Skill TridentZ 4*8GB 3200MHz
EVGA Supernova G3 850w
EVGA GTX 1080 ti SC2 Elite
Samsung EVO 970 250GB m.2
Samsung EVO 860 1TB m.2
Phanteks Enthoo Pro M SE
I had the exact same problem with a x58 motherboard using the same power supply you have. I've tried an Asus Strix z390-e and couldn't get it to run. RMAed for a MSI pro carbon Gaming z390 and couldn't get past BIOS. RMAed for an Asus Prime z390-a. Should arrive today.