Question Asus Prime Z390-A hard lockup for 10 seconds

Feb 23, 2019
Hey Guys,

I was wondering if anyone has come across this or has any suggestions for how to fix it.

While playing online on multiple games, sometimes my computer will hard lock for ~10 seconds and then come back, no BSOD or anything. just sometimes the map will have to reload. This happens in Overwatch and Apex Legends.

The only new addition to the computer since this started happening is the MOBO... an Asus Prime Z390-A. The previous Mobo was a Asus TUF Z370-Plus mobo which didn't exhibit any of these problems.

I updated the bios, and the issue persists. all new drivers, new windows install the lot. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

My other Items are:

Intel Core i5-8600K @ 3.60GHz
16GB - Corsair DDR4 Ram 2133mhz (2x8gb DIMM's)
EVGA - Geforce 2080

Feb 23, 2019
new motherboard= you need to reinstall windows
Hey Guys,

I was wondering if anyone has come across this or has any suggestions for how to fix it.

While playing online on multiple games, sometimes my computer will hard lock for ~10 seconds and then come back, no BSOD or anything. just sometimes the map will have to reload. This happens in Overwatch and Apex Legends.

The only new addition to the computer since this started happening is the MOBO... an Asus Prime Z390-A. The previous Mobo was a Asus TUF Z370-Plus mobo which didn't exhibit any of these problems.

I updated the bios, and the issue persists. all new drivers, new windows install the lot. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

My other Items are:

Intel Core i5-8600K @ 3.60GHz
16GB - Corsair DDR4 Ram 2133mhz (2x8gb DIMM's)
EVGA - Geforce 2080

While not a likely cause of the freeze, I note the memory is under clocked. The cpu will run DDR4-2666 and I assume the memory is rated for that as well.
I suppose you monitor the cpu temps, a prime suspect in these circumstances where gaming is the local environment. Second item of interest would normally be the gpu but as you say, only the MB was changed prior to the freezing.So that leaves the board. I would call the vendor and advance the argument for a replacement.

Mar 8, 2019
Currently experiencing same issue. Parts from amazon around Jan 18.
Fresh windows 10 install Pro 64bit system builder

Asus TUF Z390-Plus Gaming
I7-8700 (non K) running stock

Corsair RMS 750x
Gigabyte GTX 1050 GV-N1050OC-2GL
Samsung 860 Evo 1TB M.2 SATA MZ-N6E1T0BW
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3000Mhz C15 (CMK16GX4MB3000C15)

Updated drivers as I could get them, IT guy I ran it by suggested SATA controller, possible a single ram chip, and also has seen this kind of error due to a shared memory issue with an external graphics card (Nvidia of all things)

Mar 8, 2019
So far no luck in isolating the problem. I have updated motherboard drivers, graphic card drivers, flashed to the latest bios, swapped out both sticks of ram individually and also changed the ram slot. The only thing I can think of left is swapping graphics card and SATA. Unless this is a perhipheral issue.. it freezes for about 10 seconds but if I was in mid keystroke it repeats that keystroke when it comes back to life and I end up with say 200 of the letter S

Mar 8, 2019
Solved????

Ok folks, I think I solved it. If I never posted again here's what worked. I updated the wireless AC driver and actually downloaded intel 300 chipset drivers from intel but I don't think that was it.

BUT the last thing I did

there's alot of discussion on reddit about power management settings causing this. So the last thing I did was go into power management and make it so my hard drive/ SSD never goes to sleep (set to infinite or zero) That seems to have solved the problem and it hasn't done it over a few work days now. Apparently there is an issue with windows power management/ sleep feature that does not like SSD's.

If you don't hear from me in the next week consider it solved. :)

TRENDING THREADS