Question Asus Prime z390-A Red Light

Jul 20, 2019
I just recently purchased this Mobo and when I try to power it up, I see a solid red light beside the CPU on the motherboard.

I've tried browsing through the forums hoping to find a similar situation for the same motherboard so I am not repeating the same question twice.

All my fans turn on and I am also getting a No Signal through my monitor and it seems to be a repeating pattern through the multiple questions I have looked through.

This is all completely brand new build, minus the HDD, GPU and ram are from a previous build:

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 ti
2x 16gb DDR4 Vengeance LPX 2400Mhz
Asus Prime z390-A
1tb HDD
240gb SSD
Corsair RM850x PSU
I7-8700k
Everything is under warranty because I just purchased them two weeks ago.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2019
I also just built a system with this board and had the exact same problem. Here’s what I did to get it to work. 1: shut it off. 2: turn the switch on the PSU to off. 3: hold the power button for 10 seconds. 4: boot back up. I hope this helps!

Edit: I’m also having another issue with the board that I CAN’T figure out that prevents me from booting. So I’m a bit curious about the quality of the board and am considering sending it back.

Jul 20, 2019
I found two bent pins, straighten them out using a stickpin and a magnifying glass, the CPU light went out and I have no other lights on the motherboard so I'm not sure if I should be concerned about that as of yet.

Still getting a no signal after I straighten the two bent pins.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
... the CPU light went out...
That's good.

... I have no other lights on the motherboard so I'm not sure if I should be concerned about that as of yet.
That's bad. By no lights, as in the system related AND the motherboard RBGs are out?
You're looking at a dead motherboard if that's the case.

The monitor is plugged into the gpu or the motherboard?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Sounds like the motherboard is dead.

Turn the psu off, and while watching the motherboard, flick the switch back on. Do you notice if any light flickers on at all?
This is from my own experience with a Z390 Gigabyte Master I ordered that arrived DOA. When I turned on the psu, the mobo lights would flicker for an instant, and then nothing. Sent it back and got a replacement, and it works fine.
If you don't see any flicker at all, then it may actually be the psu.

Jul 20, 2019
I get no light flicker (other than the RGB) when I flip the PSU switch, and when i turn the power on only RGB lights up.

Everything powers on correctly (GPU, fans and heatsink fan).

Jul 20, 2019
Well I just ordered a new motherboard which is being fulfilled by Amazon, and I'm expecting it to be delivered by Wednesday night according to the tracking info I received.

Hopefully this nonsense will end when I get a chance to install the new one later this week.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Well I just ordered a new motherboard which is being fulfilled by Amazon, and I'm expecting it to be delivered by Wednesday night according to the tracking info I received.

Hopefully this nonsense will end when I get a chance to install the new one later this week.
I see. I hope that fixes the issue.
By the way, when you powered the PC on, did you hear any beeps at all?
Did the motherboard come with a speaker?

Jul 20, 2019
I made sure not to use the modular cables from my old PSU , and no it does not make any audible sounds other than the fans kicking in, which are quiet an barely noticeable.

TRENDING THREADS