[SOLVED] ASUS PRIME Z590-A & G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM - problem using different sets ?

Aug 9, 2022
Hi, I seem to have made the mistake of simply buying what I thought would be compatible RAM. I initially bought a pre-built PC that came with 2 x16GB sticks: G.SKILL TridenZ RGB. I wanted to upgrade to 64GB so I bought another set. I thought I did my due diligence in choosing the same RAM. However, there is an issue where if I disable XMP, I get a lot of blue screens during boot or right after boot. However, if I use XMP#1, I have no issues until I do something like play video games. There are no errors, my PC just reboots randomly. This can occur almost instantly after starting up the game or a few hours after playing. My PC can stay running a full week without a random reboot if I don't try to play a game.

I'm pretty ignorant about this, but looking in the BIOS, it makes sense that the disabled XMP causes errors because almost nothing matches. However, everything in XMP#1 seems to match except for tRRD_S. Is there a way to match these, and do you think this could cause the issue? Should I just buy 4 * 16GB or can I get these to work? Or do you think the issue is irrelevant to the RAM (I didn't have this issue before buying the new set)? Another thing I considered is that the RAM I received as part of the pre-built wasn't meant to work in the same channel as they aren't part of a set but from 2 individual 1x16GB packs. Though they are the same model so unsure.

Model:​
F4-3200C16D-32GTZRX (2x16)​
Channel A​
F4-3200C16S-GTZR (1x16) x2​
Channel B​
JEDEC​
XMP#1​
JEDEC​
XMP#1​
Frequency​
2666​
3200​
2133​
3200​
Voltage​
1.200​
1.350​
1.200​
1.350​
tCL​
19​
16​
15​
16​
tRCD​
19​
18​
15​
18​
tRP​
19​
18​
15​
18​
tRAS​
43​
38​
36​
38​
tRC​
61​
56​
50​
56​
tRRD_S
4​
4​
tRRD_L​
7​
8​
4​
8​
tRFC1​
211​
560​
118​
560​
tRFC2​
91​
416​
22​
416​
tRFC4​
214​
256​
171​
256​
tFAW​
28​
39​
23​
39​
tCCD_L​
7​
6​

Thank you for the help.

Last edited:
Solution
You probably better off buying a full set of 64gb if that is what you are after.

its normally better to buy a full set, as individual sticks aren't tested to work with other sticks, whereas the ones in sets at least tested to work with other sticks in that set. Even the exact same sets can still misbehave as they aren't tested to work with other sets. Best possible chance is to buy 1 set or if you must, 2 sets from same store on same day, and even then they could be different memory chips on the sticks. Some companies mix/match memory chip makers.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You probably better off buying a full set of 64gb if that is what you are after.

its normally better to buy a full set, as individual sticks aren't tested to work with other sticks, whereas the ones in sets at least tested to work with other sticks in that set. Even the exact same sets can still misbehave as they aren't tested to work with other sets. Best possible chance is to buy 1 set or if you must, 2 sets from same store on same day, and even then they could be different memory chips on the sticks. Some companies mix/match memory chip makers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Snocone
Solution