Question ASUS Prime Z690-P D4 doesn't recognize SSD in M.2_3

Nov 13, 2022
I just added a 2TB M.2 drive (Samsung 970 EVO Plus and the BIOS isn't seeing the drive in M2_3. It sees my 1TB drive in M2_1 without any trouble. I'm not sure how to resolve this.

CPU is i7-12700KF, at the stock speed.

What motherboard BIOS version is currently installed?

Have you tried the drive in the M2_2 slot?

Have you checked the BIOS to see if there are settings to enable the slots that are not connected to the CPU as the M2_2 and M2_3 slots are fed lanes by the chipset rather than the CPU like the M2_1 slot is. This is doubtful, as I didn't see anything in the manual, but worth checking I guess. Likely this is either a bad drive, bad slot or BIOS issue.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2022
I haven't tried M2_2, but will. I couldn't find anything in the BIOS related to this, but the documentation isn't very clear.

BIOS Version: 1203 3/4/2022

Last edited:
You're right. The documentation and user manual leaves a lot to be desired these days, especially on less expensive models.

Did you buy the drive new and if so, from where?

Try the other slot and see what happens. Also, might try removing the OS drive from the M2_1 slot and trying it there just to see if it is recognized in the BIOS.

Nov 13, 2022
$@*#&@$#@!!!! Rookie mistake! This is my 6th or 7th build and there's no excuse. When I went back into the case to move the drives, I saw that the new one wasn't seated properly. Reseated it and everything is good.

Thanks for the help!