Question ASUS PRIME Z790-A WIFI problems?

May 15, 2023
Hello everyone!

I'm looking at the ASUS PRIME Z790-A WIFI motherboard but I've read out there that it has XMP compatibility issues, has anyone had it and can tell me if it's true?

I'm also looking at the MSI PRO Z790-A WIFI in case the ASUS fails, I don't know how you guys will see it?

EDIT: the motherboard I want to mount it with 2x16 DDR5 at 6000MHz, for what that info is worth!

Thank you very much!

Plenty of boards have compatibility issues early on with various memory kits when using XMP profiles. These are generally resolved pretty quickly through BIOS updates not long after they are discovered and while I do see that there are a FEW claims of problems in this manner on this board early after it's release, I see nothing even remotely recently that would suggest it still being an issue. In fact, almost all of the mid to lower tiered ASUS Z790 boards had some memory issues at first, but those have been resolved as far as I can see.

The most important thing is to be sure you are buying memory kits that are either on the motherboard QVL list or are listed by the memory manufacturer as being validated as compatible. Most problems with XMP on any given board are due to people buying kits that are simply not compatible with that board, even though it is the right TYPE of memory. TYPE does not mean "compatible". Kits that are not validated as compatible MIGHT work, or MIGHT work with some tweaking, or MIGHT NEVER work on any given board.

Which is why I suggest sticking to memory kits sold by G.Skill, Corsair or Crucial, since all three of those manufacturers offer compatibility validation through their websites using the G.Skill memory configurator, Corsair memory finder and Crucial memory advisor.

But it also matters what CPU you are using as well. What CPU are you planning to run on this board? 12th gen vs 13th gen CPUs might not both support the same memory kits fully.

Reactions: JuanK1
May 15, 2023
Plenty of boards have compatibility issues early on with various memory kits when using XMP profiles. These are generally resolved pretty quickly through BIOS updates not long after they are discovered and while I do see that there are a FEW claims of problems in this manner on this board early after it's release, I see nothing even remotely recently that would suggest it still being an issue. In fact, almost all of the mid to lower tiered ASUS Z790 boards had some memory issues at first, but those have been resolved as far as I can see.

The most important thing is to be sure you are buying memory kits that are either on the motherboard QVL list or are listed by the memory manufacturer as being validated as compatible. Most problems with XMP on any given board are due to people buying kits that are simply not compatible with that board, even though it is the right TYPE of memory. TYPE does not mean "compatible". Kits that are not validated as compatible MIGHT work, or MIGHT work with some tweaking, or MIGHT NEVER work on any given board.

Which is why I suggest sticking to memory kits sold by G.Skill, Corsair or Crucial, since all three of those manufacturers offer compatibility validation through their websites using the G.Skill memory configurator, Corsair memory finder and Crucial memory advisor.

But it also matters what CPU you are using as well. What CPU are you planning to run on this board? 12th gen vs 13th gen CPUs might not both support the same memory kits fully.
Thanks for the explanation! I plan to mount an i7 13700K and as for ram modules, they will be Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz 32GB 2x16GB CL36

May 15, 2023
What country are you in Juan? Why that memory kit? Do you already have that memory kit?
I'm from Spain! I was originally going to get a Kingston 6000 MHz CL40 memory kit, but I've been told that the Corsair one was better. Any suggestions? I don't have any kit yet

PS: sorry for my english hehe