[SOLVED] ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR mobo: USB not recognized in Boot Menu ?

DLM001

Prominent
Mar 22, 2021
I've built a new AMD machine, using one of ASUS's newest motherboards: the ProArt B550-CREATOR. I've downloaded the Microsoft installation media for Windows 10 Pro 64 onto a 32GB USB flash drive, and I'm ready to install Windows.

My boot menu only includes my two Samsung 980 M.2 2280 NVMe cards, my Samsung EVO 870 SSD, and my optical drive. After several exhaustive searches, I cannot find anything in the BIOS which allows USB devices to be considered bootable candidates.

My BIOS is two levels back (version 0403, 2021-03-10). On ASUS's website, the change log for version 2201 (2021-04-20) lists "fix USB connectivity issue" as one of the changes. It's been a few years since I've been doing this kind of thing; is it possible that I need a BIOS update to fix something this basic?

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
The ProArt B550-CREATOR is indeed a very recent release (April 2021) so you have to expect some Bios updates. No Bios update can be considered basic.

As your Bios cannot see your USB then the latest Bios with a connectivity fix is important.
Normally Bios (during post) would detect a USB and allow for the USB to be prioritized in Bios. There is also a function key (F2) during post that will allow you to select your USB as the bootable device.
These days updating Bios is a simple task with using flashback on your Rear I/O panel. Yes there is a risk but a small one (unless you live in an area that constantly loses power).
If your not sure how to use your Flashback facility, I can detail the steps for you.

popatim

Titan
It could also be 2 other issues.
The first one being in how you made the USB into bootable media. Did you create it using Rufus or Microsoft's media creation utility ? or did you just copy the download to the flashdrive?
The media needs to match the motherboards bios setting for UEFI. If your bios is in UEFI only mode hen you need the installation media to be uefi also. otherwise you can try setting it to uefi+legacy and see if your flashdrive shows up.

The other possibility is which port you used. Some motherboards only have USB's on the rear active in the bios. Sometimes its only the USB2 ports.

I'm thinking it's #1

The ProArt B550-CREATOR is indeed a very recent release (April 2021) so you have to expect some Bios updates. No Bios update can be considered basic.

As your Bios cannot see your USB then the latest Bios with a connectivity fix is important.
Normally Bios (during post) would detect a USB and allow for the USB to be prioritized in Bios. There is also a function key (F2) during post that will allow you to select your USB as the bootable device.
These days updating Bios is a simple task with using flashback on your Rear I/O panel. Yes there is a risk but a small one (unless you live in an area that constantly loses power).
If your not sure how to use your Flashback facility, I can detail the steps for you.

Solution

DLM001

Prominent
Mar 22, 2021
It could also be 2 other issues.
The first one being in how you made the USB into bootable media. Did you create it using Rufus or Microsoft's media creation utility ? or did you just copy the download to the flashdrive?
The media needs to match the motherboards bios setting for UEFI. If your bios is in UEFI only mode hen you need the installation media to be uefi also. otherwise you can try setting it to uefi+legacy and see if your flashdrive shows up.

The other possibility is which port you used. Some motherboards only have USB's on the rear active in the bios. Sometimes its only the USB2 ports.

I'm thinking it's #1
In response to your #1, I used the Microsoft "Create Windows 10 Installation Media" application (at www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10). My understanding, based on reading recent posts on several forums is that this method will create the installation media in the proper forum format & in the proper environment. Further, in an attempt to verify that my installation media was good, I initiated the setup.exe contained in the installation media on my existing Windows 10 machine -- just to see if the flash drive would be recognized -- and it was.

In response to #2, I had only tried the flash drive in my front panel USB ports. At your suggestion I plugged it into the rear USB 3.2 gen 2 port 3 and SUCCESS! I've got lift-off!

THANK YOU for saving me from myself!

DLM001

Prominent
Mar 22, 2021

Thank you for your prompt response. With the help of another fellow citizen, I've solved the basic problem: I had attached the flash drive to a front-panel USB port (shoulda' known better...); when I used one of the native motherboard rear panel ports, everything went like clockwork.

However, your advice is well-founded. I will update my BIOS as soon as my installation process is complete.