Review Asus ProArt X570-Creator WIFI Review: Thunderbolt 4 Meets Bandwidth Galore

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
How is "basic appearance" in the negatives?? Obviously that is entirely subjective but imo this is a beautiful, simplistic looking motherboard. We need more motherboards on the market that look a little grown up vs the current trend of Gundam scrap parts being slapped all over everything at random angles.

Reactions: ww123td

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
How is "basic appearance" in the negatives?? Obviously that is entirely subjective but imo this is a beautiful, simplistic looking motherboard. We need more motherboards on the market that look a little grown up vs the current trend of Gundam scrap parts being slapped all over everything at random angles.

ITs the price tag....It cost 429 so pple will expect it to be beter looking that 200 board.

misterfresh

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2013
Thanks @tomshardware and @joeshields for the review however unfortunately this review is incomplete because it does not address the main reason why someone would want to buy this board : the allegedly 40 GBps thunderbolt 4 ports. I mean come on you list the ports in the title and in the supposed pros but you never actually test them even though these ports are the prime reason someone would want to spend 450$ on a board !
Based on your testing the board is no better or worse than say the B550 Tuf Gaming Wifi that cost 300$ less.
I want to see one or two Razer Core X in each thunderbolt 4 port + one graphics card in each PCIe x16 slot and see the result of some rendering or mining, with a couple nvme drives installed.
It is a question mark as to how bandwidth is allocated when you saturate the PCI lanes with external GPUs and nvme drives and thunderbolt devices and 10Gbps networking simultaneously, I assume some or all of the i/o would see some degradation in such scenarios.
I am especially interested in the compatibility of thunderbolt devices because I have seen reports on Reddit of people not being able to use the thunderbolt ports correctly (especially for eGPU) with the B550 Asus Creator board, and using the x570 chipset could solve that. Not to mention AMD boards with any thunderbolt support are rare so compatibility and support is a question mark for potential buyers that is much more important to address than a couple points difference in the usual Futuremark testing.
If I have learned anything in the past year, it's that just because a port looks like thunderbolt doesnt mean that thunderbolt functionality will actually work. For example usb 3.1 gen 2 type C in previous ryzen boards was quite misleading because it does not actually support an eGPU.
It would be interesting also to check performance when running the PC from an external thunderbolt nvme ssd such as the one from plugable (with the OS installed on said external SSD) .
It would be interesting to see the transfer time for a large 4k video file from such an external ssd towards an internal one to test the real world speed of the thunderbolt 4 ports.
So many critical testing is missing from this review to give potential buyers an idea of what this board is really worth. All in all the review is a missed opportunity to address these concerns relating to Thunderbolt 4 support and compatibility.
By the way does anyone know why we need two PCIe x16 slots anymore since SLI is not supported anymore ? Give me a small form factor mATX or ITX board with thunderbolt 4 ports so that I can extend it if needed.

amerifax

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
Do you see a chipset fan anywhere on the chipset? No? Didn't thinks so. And I quote from the article, "Moving right across the fanless chipset heatsink to the edge of the board..."
I'm looking to buy this board. What are you getting at in regards to chipset fan? And are there two different models of the Asus ProArt X570?