[SOLVED] ASUS ProArt Z690-CREATOR WIFI LGA 1700 ATX motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rgcraig

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
I am trying to purchase the ASUS ProArt Z690-CREATOR WIFI LGA 1700 ATX motherboard for a new build. I have chosen this motherboard because it can support up to 8 SATA hard drives. I have purchased a Samsung Pro 980 PCIe4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD and an Intel i9-12900K processor. On the spec sheet, under storage, it says ” *** M.2_2 shares bandwidth with SATA6G_2. When M.2_2 runs SATA mode, SATA6G_2 will be disabled.” There is also a note that “Only Intel® 11th Core™ processors support PCIe 4.0 x4 mode, this slot will be disabled for other CPUs.” I am hoping that with a 12 generation processor I can use the Pro 980 ssd & the 8 SATA’s.

I don’t understand so can anyone tell me if this will work?

Thank you for any help.

Solution
Your quotes are wrong ... like you took them from other mobo specification. The correct ones are:
M.2_4 slot (Key M), type 2242/2260/2280 (supports PCIe 4.0 x4 & SATA modes)
M.2_4 slot shares bandwidth with SATA6G_5~8. SATA6G5~8 will be suspended once either a SATA or NVMe device is detected at M.2_4
This means that any drive you put in last M2 slot suspends the ability tu use four SATA ports. Not sure what they mean by suspend(?), but probably just that you can't use them at all. So at best you can use 3 M.2 drives and 8 SATA drives at same time.
The other quote would not even make sense because you can't use 11th gen CPU with that board.
Your quotes are wrong ... like you took them from other mobo specification. The correct ones are:
M.2_4 slot (Key M), type 2242/2260/2280 (supports PCIe 4.0 x4 & SATA modes)
M.2_4 slot shares bandwidth with SATA6G_5~8. SATA6G5~8 will be suspended once either a SATA or NVMe device is detected at M.2_4
This means that any drive you put in last M2 slot suspends the ability tu use four SATA ports. Not sure what they mean by suspend(?), but probably just that you can't use them at all. So at best you can use 3 M.2 drives and 8 SATA drives at same time.
The other quote would not even make sense because you can't use 11th gen CPU with that board.

Reactions: Rgcraig
Solution

Rgcraig

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011

Thank you. I really am struggling to understand. Not sure if I can talk to ASUS. If you are correct that I can use between 1 & 3 M.2 drives plus four SATA's, then I am good. For now, I only want one M.2. I have about 5 hard drives now, and the new case has two slots to hot swap other SATA drives. This is how I tend to make backups. Thank You.

Rgcraig

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011

Thanks, it appears you are correct. I had copied the wrong spec sheet comments. Also, I didn't know how to read "M.2_4 slot" but apparently this is the 4th M.2 slot so I can use up to three M.2 slots and don't have a conflict with bandwidth shares until I fill the 4th slot. Thank you very much, this works so I will purchase the motherboard.

Reactions: DRagor
Also, I didn't know how to read "M.2_4 slot" but apparently this is the 4th M.2 slot
Yep, typical naming convection (the other uses leters like M2_A). Note however that positions of M.2 slots do not have to be in logical order on board. I mean, normally anyone would assume slots are counted from the top, so M2_4 is the bottom one, right? Not necessarily! You have to check in motherboard manual which slot is named M2_4 so you will not end up putting your Samsung in wrong slot and then wondering why some SATA slots not work ;)

Reactions: SirJohnnyKarate
Status
Not open for further replies.