Asus PT6 loses hard drive

805steve

Commendable
Sep 27, 2016
I have an ASUS Pt6 V2 motherboard with 4 drives. 1 SSD boot. 3 time 1 TB Hitachi drives. I started under windows 7, now windows 10.

It boots fine and the SSD and 2 of the HD's are visible and working. However the third HD is not visible. When I go into the bios utility, the first two are visible as "Hitachi" and the third as (WDC xxx). When I drill down, the next screen is identical in all three drives, except the "bad" one does not have a selection for type.

My next step (?) is to remove the offending drive and plug into a different machine. Perhaps try spinrite.

Any suggestions?

Solution
Welcome to the TH Community, @Steve!

I'd recommend you swap the SATA cable connecting the problematic HDD and also check how it will get recognized, if connected to another SATA port on the motherboard. If the problem persists, you should most definitely check its behavior on another computer system. If your third HDD is a Western Digital drive (which is what I assume from its name WDCxxxx), then I'd strongly recommend running the QUICK and EXTENDED tests from the Data LifeGuard Diagnostics for Windows. The utility will help us determine the health and SMART status of the HDD.
Make sure you backup all important files from the hard drive beforehand! This is the surest way to avoid any potential data loss! :)

Keep me...
Welcome to the TH Community, @Steve!

I'd recommend you swap the SATA cable connecting the problematic HDD and also check how it will get recognized, if connected to another SATA port on the motherboard. If the problem persists, you should most definitely check its behavior on another computer system. If your third HDD is a Western Digital drive (which is what I assume from its name WDCxxxx), then I'd strongly recommend running the QUICK and EXTENDED tests from the Data LifeGuard Diagnostics for Windows. The utility will help us determine the health and SMART status of the HDD.
Make sure you backup all important files from the hard drive beforehand! This is the surest way to avoid any potential data loss! :)

Keep me posted with the troubleshooting & good luck!
SuperSoph_WD

Solution