Question ASUS Q170M-C Ethernet Port not working [support needed]

chizuo

Reputable
Jul 1, 2019
I can't seem to get the ethernet port working on an ASUS Q170M-C Motherboard. Running a fresh install of Windows 10 Home 64-bit (integrated). I get the occasional blink of orange, but then nothing.

What I have tried:

- Running Windows Update via a USB WiFi Adapter

- Downloading the latest Win 10 64bit LAN driver from the ASUS board page: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/Business/Q170M-C/HelpDesk_Download/

- Downloading the Intel Wired Driver: https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...ter-driver-for-windows-10.html?product=184686

- Flashing the latest BIOS release

- Ethernet cable is confirmed working. I have also tried using other ethernet cable connections confirmed working, from a network switch.

Other Hardware:
Intel i5-6500 CPU
Corsair CX500M PSU
1 x Corsair vengeance lpx ddr4 8GB RAM module (have to purchase a match for dual channel)
1 x Lexar SSD
1 x SanDisk SSD
Sapphire Radeon R7 265 Dual-X GPU

Any tips, tricks, or advice would be great. I am trying to avoid going down the troubleshooting rabbit hole, so hopefully someone can help me out! Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

chizuo

Reputable
Jul 1, 2019
check the port light on the motherboard? could be the port failed
That's definitely a possibility. I get intermittent orange blinks and it seems the system is trying to detect a connection while the cable is plugged in, but nothing. I am looking into getting it replaced under an eBay warranty. However, I would feel like a super tech if I got it fixed instead ;)

Just install PCIE ethernet adapter.

1016921320.JPG

chizuo

Reputable
Jul 1, 2019
Just install PCIE ethernet adapter.

1016921320.JPG

Thank you, yes I could do that. In fact, I do have a card and I would do this for a personal build, but this is eventually going to be sold, so I would prefer everything on the board to be working well. If it were my own, I wouldn't mind using this or a nice USB adapter. I'm looking at processing a board replacement, I just thought I would reach out to some communities to get some advice and ideas. Appreciate the reply.

chizuo

Reputable
Jul 1, 2019
That's too much hassle:
remove the board,​
send away for replacement,​
wait for replacement,​
install replacement.​
Add in card is way easier and faster way to resolve this.

I hear you and thanks for the response. The work is not a problem. I have a small business in computer repair/service, etc and would rather pursue the replacement option if I am to sell this setup. Of course, the card option is totally fine, but I would rather have the ethernet port working, keeping the pci slot open for user's choice. If the replacement board was not available, I would definitely just install a card and make sure a buyer knows exactly what is going on.